Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backyard Music

1. Back To Top    #1

Backyard Music

For the people who have put speakers all in their backyard, how did you do it? I mean where was the receiver located and how did you hook up all the speakers?

Thanks.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backyard Music

I bought a single wireless 'weatherproof' speaker from Wal-Mart a couple years back. 65 bucks. The receiver for it is plugged into my receiver in the house (50' away), and does just fine. I didn't want to get too sophisticated with running wires, but not ruling that out in the future. Wireless speakers don't last forever. If it does get wet, like when I forget it and the sprinklers go off, then it needs to dry for a couple days so it will stop crackling.

I think the #1 thing you need to worry about with electronics outdoors is humidity. A receiver will turn into a rusty mess if they can't breathe.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Russound whole house system. AM/FM/XM, ipod on a docking station, and a music server. My outdoor speakers are connected to my basement zone. I ran the speaker wire in conduit out of the house, under the deck, and out to a volume control. From there, they feed the speakers. They look like rocks in the stone mulch bed around the pool.
    http://www.russound.com/rnet.htm
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

The best outdoor speaker that I have heard is the TIC omni in ground speaker. They are very affordable through amazon ($80 dollars each) I installed 2 in my planter. I have a receiver in my home with a zone 2 setting. I ran 12 G direct burial audio wire to each of the speakers under ground before my deck was poured. Set up my zone 2 and bam! I can listen to anything outside including TV that runs through my receiver. These are the same speaker systems that Disney use in their resorts. I have had nothing but compliments about the sound quality and the mood it can set in your backyard paradise and several people have no clue where the sound is coming from until I show them.

this is the company link-
    ww.ticcorp.com
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have my computer hooked into my stereo receiver. My receiver has two channels for output, one powers a set of speakers inside, one powers a set of speakers outside. Both sets of speakers are hardwired. Then I can turn on either the inside or outside speakers or both. Then I just run my Pandora up and life is good.

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Riles_J
    ...Then I just run my Pandora up and life is good...
    Pandora rules!!
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Anyone have any experience with the SoundCast OutCast?

Expensive, but I see it touted on several review websites as the ultimate wireless speaker.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

I have been using the Audio Unlimited wireless out door speakers for a year now, and the stereo head phones, and the Pool Pod, mostly in the spa. The out door speakers are not stereo but the sound quality is the best quality of all those I've ever used, over many years (That is in a certain price range). Many I've tried just don't work or don't work well. Even though we are a mile from the largest TV Tower Forest in the US, and have all kinds of signals bombarding us, and affecting a lot of things, these speakers rarely cut out. I have the speakers under an eave but much of our rain is blowing rain.

Audio Unlimited prices are very reasonable too. We have one transmitter hooked up to DH's computer (iTunes) and another to the TV. They have pretty good range too. Transmitters can be hooked up to virtually any sound source and even come with a few adapters.
    See http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tdoor+speakers
    gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

9. Back To Top    #9

I had the electrician run an extra 1" conduit for low-voltage when the pool was built. I pulled two 2-conductor 12 ga. speaker wires, 2 cat 5e--one for POTS and one for internet--and a RG-6 for TV (not yet used). It was quite a cable pull, the whole family was involved. I have a 4-way impedance matching speaker switching box attached to my living room Denon amp and two Paradigm outdoor speakers on the pool fence. I also installed a volume control on the fence.

As my desktop computer doubles as a media center and feeds digital 5.1 to the living room amp, I can control it with a netbook from poolside that gets wi-fi from an access point hitched to the Cat5e. It's all Rube Goldberg, but it works beautifully. The Paradigm Outdoor Speakers are great. I am not a fan of wireless speakers.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.