Brown Spots and Stains

Vicmon

Jul 22, 2007
Hello all, my first post!

I have been reading a lot on these forums but haven't come across my particular problem.
For the past couple of days after finally getting my numbers right.After vacuuming the pool it looks good. I use it and the very next day it looks pretty bad ,there are now brown spots all over it and it almost looks like sand and streaked sand all over the place.I don't know if i have to change the sand I bought the house with the pool . Does it always take about 1/2 an hour to vacuum the pool before i can enjoy it. I don't quite know how long to run the pump for and at what times. I am going to throw another ? about a month ago i saw white tissue like things in my pool was that white algae??? Thanks for your help Vic. 21'x52

If everything vacuums up then that sounds fairly normal. Fine particles in the water can slowly settle down to the bottom over several days, often accumulating as streaks of "dirt" on the bottom each day. It might take a few days for it all to come out of the water and then it should stop. Just be sure you are keeping your chlorine level at an appropriate level for your CYA and it should stop in a few days. I have the same thing after a major storm or fighting algae.

If it doesn't stop, then check your filter, your laterals may be cracked. You should not have any sand coming back into the pool. If you are losing a lot of chlorine, it may be algae. Mustard algae looks like sand. If you pick it up and rub it between your fingers and it feels slimy, it is algae, if it feels gritty, it is sand. And no, you should not have to vacuum your pool to swim everyday :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.