Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: i need some help! PLEASE!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

i need some help! PLEASE!!!

We just bought a house with a pool and everything that can go wrong has gone wrong!!

I have been to my local pool store and bought $$$ of chemical from soda ash to alk up etc and have just about got my levels perfect - but the water will not get clear. My local store suggested i change my change my sand. I am up for anything at this point. I have watched several videos and read several post on how to do that.

I have a W. Cooper Ranger Series pump, I have NO idea of the capacity. I have looked on line and discovered it is a T Series, but no other markings are on the filter/pump. Here is what I do know:

1. The circumference of the filter its self is right at 80 inch, the filter is not a "ball shape" more of and elongated shape.
    2. My pool is a 20 ft by 40 ft with and 8.5 ft deepth at the deep end.

Can ANY one help me with the amount of sand I need to add when I change it out and give me any hints or tips???????

PLEASE HELP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: i need some help! PLEASE!!!

Based on your post it is unclear whether you really need to change your sand.

You say your levels are perfect...please provide a full set of test numbers:
    • FC
      CC
      pH
      CYA (very important)
      TA
      CH

Are you testing yourself (what kind of kit) or relying on the pool store to test.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with svenpup, I don't think you need to change your sand.

post the results asked for above and let us help you figure this out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both. I will get new test numbers this afternoon and post in the morning. To answer the question, I am relying Leslie's Pool Store here in town. Just another note when I backwash then rinse then put back on filter the returns spew a cloudy flow into the pool for a few seconds. Also when i am vaccuming i some times lose suction and have to backwash, rinse the back to filter to regain a good vaccum suction?

5. Back To Top    #5

Should I test myself? What ype of kit?

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP

It may be that you are just losing suction...but a puff of cloudiness after backwashing is not too concerning. Let get your water balanced first and then we'll tackle the filter.

I would strongly suggest investing in a TF100 or Taylor k2006...the ability to test your own water will save you a tremendous amount of money in the long run.

Now get us those test results
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

I just called around and no local store carries those test kits, i will order one online, but for the time being suggestions on getting a good test done... kids really want to swim for the weekend?

8. Back To Top    #8

Go ahead and order the kit. I suggest the TF-100. While you're waiting on the kit to arrive take a sample to your Leslies and have them test it. Don't buy anything they recommend. Come back here and post the results. We'll help get this fixed as quickly as possible.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

The TF100 is sold at TFtestkits.net...orders are typically shipped same day, if not next day.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

10. Back To Top    #10

ok guys here what I got this morning:

FAC: 0.5
    WATER PH: 7.2
    TA: 80
    CALCIUM HARDNESS: 160
    CYA:50
    TDS: 600
    PHOSPHATES: 400

Phosphates are higher than normal we had lots of rain last night, we live in South Alabama, near the river and Mobile bay. I noticed at little algee this morning in the shallow end. My polaris has been broken for a week ..just received the hose this morning and am going to install ASAP to get it back uop and running. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Also I it bares to mention - i have a good bit of trees near my pool - a large live oak and several large lusgustriums(sp) dont know if that matters?

12. Back To Top    #12

Those numbers do not look too bad, except for PH being a little on the low side and very little chlorine. Do not worry about TDS and Phospates.

Although the did not give you a TC number, which would tell us if you had CCs, you most likely need to shock. I would suggest using liquid chlorine/bleach as your CYA level at 50 is just fine for now. You need to raise FC to 20+ and hold it there...just follow the how to shock your pool instructions in Pool School.

13. Back To Top    #13

In saying that .. Just bleach from the grocery store? For 33,000 gallons how much should I add and how?

14. Back To Top    #14

6% bleach would work just fine. Unfortunately I can't tell you how much because I'm not sure what your CC level is.

In a 33k gal pool a gallon of 6% bleach will increase FC by 1.8ppm. To get to 20FC you would need approx 11 gals (7 x1.42 gal containers). How much addt'l bleach you would need to hold it at 20FC is anyone's guess. You may be better off getting liquid chlorine 12.5% from the pool store so you don't have to carry so much.

Use www.poolcalculator.com to figure out dosages.

Have you ordered a test kit yet? Shocking with out a kit is really hard IMHO.

15. Back To Top    #15

Welcome neighbor. We're a few miles apart but close enough.

As dmanb2b suggested, take a look at Pool Calc and come back and ask if you don't understand how to use it. Your current results go in the now column and what you'd like them to be goes in the Target column. Be sure to put your pool size in at the top so it'll calculate the amounts correctly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator