Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended CYA level in Sacramento

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended CYA level in Sacramento

What would you guys recommend for a CYA level in Sacramento? The pool is shaded a little in the morning by my neighbors Italian cypress trees and a little in the afternoon by the west side of the house. It is in full sun for at least 7-8 hours.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommended CYA level in Sacramento

I'd go for 40-50, the higher end of the normal range. The Central Valley gets plenty of sun but Sacramento is only middlin'-south in terms of latitude.
    --paulr

(Hey, I like that first line in your sig!)
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Recommended CYA level in Sacramento

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    (Hey, I like that first line in your sig!)
    I like yours too. I have only been doing TFP for a few months, but my mind is uncluttered with any pool store nonsense since I was a member of TFP before I ever owned a pool.

I prefer to call it TFP rather than BBB since I believe that the true essence is:
    • Test accurately[/*:m:3m67myrz]
    • Know what you are adding[/*:m:3m67myrz]
    • Know why you are adding it[/*:m:3m67myrz]

BBB doesn't really fit...I use Bleach and Muriatic Acid. BM isn't really a good acronym though.

Rarely if ever do I use Borax or Baking Soda since my TA is fine and my pH tends to drift up.

Half the members have SWCG so they don't even use Bleach.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator