Would this prevent my pump from priming?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

Just replumbed my lines as I redo my patio area. I put a 2" line for suction (used to be 1.5). As you can see in the attached picture, I temporarily ran the lines a couple of feet high out of the ground because the ground depth will change.

Anyway, I temporarily threw some elbows in just so that I can test the lines. The pump isn't priming though. Is it because of that large upside down U? I assume it is, but before I cut the PVC low to the ground (which I'd rather wait for the patio to be done before I do) I thought I'd check first.

If it is that upside down U, should I let the pump run for a while to see if it will eventually prime? I only tried a minute or so.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00020-20100525-1147.jpg
    IMG00020-20100525-1147.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 89
The elbows aren't glued. Just wanted to test the line.

Maybe I'll duct tape the connections to help eliminate air leaks. I'll let it run for 2-3 minutes. If it doesn't prime I'll cut the pipe down.

Thanks!

The reason I asked if they were glued is that under vacuum they are more prone to leak than under pressure and that may be why your pump isn't priming.

Rubber or even electrical tape is better at stopping leaks than duct tape is.

Welp, rather than cutting it down, I raised the pump up higher as you can see in the attached pic. I also replaced the duct tape you see in this pic with electrical tape. No go though. The pipe is only about 18" under ground. Could it be that I need a more powerful pump for a 2" line?

Here's what I know. With a gizmo blocking the skimmer hole, I can fill the pipe with water and it will stay at the same level for days. When I remove the gizmo, the water level drops (because it goes back into the skimmer) and then the water is just in the bottom of the line and will stay there for days. So I know there's no blockage, and I know there's no major hole, and I know there's a good direct connection to the skimmer.

I never had problems priming before so I'm not sure of all the tricks. I'll start researching some tricks. If anyone has any other advice, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00021-20100525-1335 (1).jpg
    IMG00021-20100525-1335 (1).jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 62
How quick can you remove the gizmo from the skimmer after you start the pump? Or can you get a helper to remove it just as you start the pump. If you can then install the gizmo and fill the pipe the start the pump and immediately yank the gizmo out and that should help it prime.

Bama Rambler said:
How quick can you remove the gizmo from the skimmer after you start the pump? Or can you get a helper to remove it just as you start the pump. If you can then install the gizmo and fill the pipe the start the pump and immediately yank the gizmo out and that should help it prime.

Good idea! :goodjob: Worked great! Thanks! So...in the real world situation...joints are glued, pipe is cut a foot lower...you think I'll be ok? Or is there no way of knowing without trying?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.