Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would this prevent my pump from priming?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would this prevent my pump from priming?

Hey folks,

Just replumbed my lines as I redo my patio area. I put a 2" line for suction (used to be 1.5). As you can see in the attached picture, I temporarily ran the lines a couple of feet high out of the ground because the ground depth will change.

Anyway, I temporarily threw some elbows in just so that I can test the lines. The pump isn't priming though. Is it because of that large upside down U? I assume it is, but before I cut the PVC low to the ground (which I'd rather wait for the patio to be done before I do) I thought I'd check first.

If it is that upside down U, should I let the pump run for a while to see if it will eventually prime? I only tried a minute or so.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would this prevent my pump from priming?

Are all those elbows glued in?

It could possibly affect the ability of the pump to prime and will definitely affect the time required to prime if it will prime at all.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The elbows aren't glued. Just wanted to test the line.

Maybe I'll duct tape the connections to help eliminate air leaks. I'll let it run for 2-3 minutes. If it doesn't prime I'll cut the pipe down.

Thanks!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

4. Back To Top    #4

Why not just cut it down anyway? It'll look better and have less head loss.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

The reason I asked if they were glued is that under vacuum they are more prone to leak than under pressure and that may be why your pump isn't priming.

Rubber or even electrical tape is better at stopping leaks than duct tape is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Welp, rather than cutting it down, I raised the pump up higher as you can see in the attached pic. I also replaced the duct tape you see in this pic with electrical tape. No go though. The pipe is only about 18" under ground. Could it be that I need a more powerful pump for a 2" line?

Here's what I know. With a gizmo blocking the skimmer hole, I can fill the pipe with water and it will stay at the same level for days. When I remove the gizmo, the water level drops (because it goes back into the skimmer) and then the water is just in the bottom of the line and will stay there for days. So I know there's no blockage, and I know there's no major hole, and I know there's a good direct connection to the skimmer.

I never had problems priming before so I'm not sure of all the tricks. I'll start researching some tricks. If anyone has any other advice, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

How quick can you remove the gizmo from the skimmer after you start the pump? Or can you get a helper to remove it just as you start the pump. If you can then install the gizmo and fill the pipe the start the pump and immediately yank the gizmo out and that should help it prime.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    How quick can you remove the gizmo from the skimmer after you start the pump? Or can you get a helper to remove it just as you start the pump. If you can then install the gizmo and fill the pipe the start the pump and immediately yank the gizmo out and that should help it prime.

Good idea! Worked great! Thanks! So...in the real world situation...joints are glued, pipe is cut a foot lower...you think I'll be ok? Or is there no way of knowing without trying?

9. Back To Top    #9

I personally think you'll be ok, but you are right, there's no way of knowing without actually doing it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok! Looks like I'll be doing that then Thanks for the help!