Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NG to LP Conversion Laars Lite Heater

1. Back To Top    #1

NG to LP Conversion Laars Lite Heater

I found a smokin deal on a Laars Lite 2 Mark IV 175k btu heater ($50 for it, a solar cover real, and some otehr stuff.) It passed a full inspection last year and has just had the maint done on it.

The only problem...it's NG, and we're all propane. For most appliances, I know you only need to do the orifices on them for the swap. Does anyone know if this is the case on these?

The manual shows a part number for a conversion "kit," but it's $750 as near as I could find. That seems just stupid. I can't imagine you'd actually have to replace all of the internals to make this happen. I can't find the parts list on the kit, but my assumption is burner, valve, and orifices.

This is an LLG175n. I don't really even understand why you'd have to have a different valve. It's a millivolt unit.

Hopefully, someone will know. Thanks!
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NG to LP Conversion Laars Lite Heater

Different valves for different fuels. Two different pressure requirements in the incoming gas. The only heater I know that only needs the orifice changed is the Pentair/StaRite MasterTemp/Max-E-Therm.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: NG to LP Conversion Laars Lite Heater

Thanks. I did get an email back from a parts vendor also. To do the swap, it's $600 minimum. Pilot lite assembly (even on millivolt versions it seems), valve, and orifices have to be swapped. The kit can be had for $750. Seems unfortunate that they don't design them better, but I guess that this BTU range, there's too much gas flowing to keep it simple.

I think I'll be shopping for heat pumps now anyway to keep the long term costs down.
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.