Pool base soft & vinyl wear from polaris?

May 22, 2009
Columbia, SC
The pool is less than a year old. Pics and info are in the sig

Pool Base Issue:
I know that pool base can be soft in a spot or two. I know that with a vinyl, I want the pool base to "give" to prevent damage.
I have two spots giving me concern. The first is the "downhill" side of the deep-end. A large section of the sloped portion of the deep-end is very mushy. The second is the "uphill side right at the transition from shallow to deep. It is real mushy right at the edge of the wall and over the transition line.
Is this a cause for concern? ie, poor drainage causing deterioration?

Vinyl Wear Issue:
The Polaris has managed to travel the transition line repeatedly and has worn the vinyl coloring off. There are some scratch marks in the vinyl. I'm not sure if they are just scratching the coloring or if they go deeper. I will try and get pictures of that up. Is this normal? Is this a liner issue or a Polaris issue? Is this something the PB should be fixing (warranty issue)?
Thanks

they put a dead man in during the build but the squishy base is higher than the dead man spot. Also the opposite side is where I would have expected it to occur as that is the up hill from where this spot is )c: Builder is non-responsive )c:

IMG_0888.JPG

its right below the steel wall in this picture. It spans several panels but definitely the two panels above the drain )c:

not yet, but he has another problem to deal with that will require his presence now. Something isn't grounded quite right. When i'm wet, bathing suit wet, deck wet, both, and I put my hand in the pool to get the skimmer or anything really, the little nicks and cuts on my hands tingle like a slight current. Same thing happened with my feet after I cut my toenails.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
~sigh~ he says that it is likely a ground water seep pushing up. He implied it was because that are was backfill and that the water weight pushed the "spring" that was underneath the pool that way. When he put the pool in he put a dead man in there that I thought was supposed to take care of that water seepage )c:He said "We'll keep an eye on it as it really doesn't affect the pool", he even went so far as to say it was probably ok because some folks put their pool over a sand base. He did suggest a possible option of running a french drain in there to siphon off some water. Not the answer I wanted.

Also, he was far more worried about the wear along the transition edge. he said he had never seen the like and was going to get a track conversion kit for my polaris.
Pics of the wear:
P6130073.JPG

P6130074.JPG

P5240040.JPG

P5240041.JPG

P5240045.JPG

P5240044.JPG

kenmccall said:
You have the same liner that I have and I have the same wear marks in just over a year in the same area. My PB said it is the polaris and was nothing he could do about it. What is a track conversion kit?

Think of it like a tank track is what I was told. it forces the wheels to turn together and supposedly prevents it from slowly proceeding down the transition like it does to make this wear. He also moved the rear jet to 11 o'clock. He indicated that that itself might alleviate the run doen the transition

Any thoughts?
I am really POd about the liner. the pool is not even a year old and that wear is across the whole width of the pool at the transition line. It appears that the polaris is sucking pretty hard on that line for some reason. I caught it in the same spot for a good 3 or 4 minutes before i bumped it along today

clint, sorry i didn't get to your PM faster. Haven't been online. As for the polaris, right near the end of the hose where it plugs into your pool wall there is a pressure relief valve. You can open it up a bit and that will cause the polaris to slow down a little. The polaris works on pressure, not suction so i don't think its sucking too hard so to say.

As for your sink hole, isn't your pool under warranty? The PB should drain, fill, and reset the liner at no charge. ITS ONLY A YEAR OLD! A friend of mine who is a local pool builder, gives the homeowner a 2 year warranty on his work. ( pool floor, plumbing ect) Even though the sink hole way very well be from water under the pool, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.