Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool base soft & vinyl wear from polaris?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool base soft & vinyl wear from polaris?

The pool is less than a year old. Pics and info are in the sig

Pool Base Issue:
    I know that pool base can be soft in a spot or two. I know that with a vinyl, I want the pool base to "give" to prevent damage.
    I have two spots giving me concern. The first is the "downhill" side of the deep-end. A large section of the sloped portion of the deep-end is very mushy. The second is the "uphill side right at the transition from shallow to deep. It is real mushy right at the edge of the wall and over the transition line.
    Is this a cause for concern? ie, poor drainage causing deterioration?

Vinyl Wear Issue:
    The Polaris has managed to travel the transition line repeatedly and has worn the vinyl coloring off. There are some scratch marks in the vinyl. I'm not sure if they are just scratching the coloring or if they go deeper. I will try and get pictures of that up. Is this normal? Is this a liner issue or a Polaris issue? Is this something the PB should be fixing (warranty issue)?
    Thanks
    Clint
    Pics of the build process
    34x16x25 Lagoon IG Vinyl 14,800gal (Oxford Tile/Glimmerglass 20mil)
    Pentair: Intelliflo VS3050 pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Clean and Clear 320 cartridge filter, LA01N 3/4hp booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool base soft & vinyl wear from polaris?

I can't address your other questions but there have been several posts about the wear pattern in a vinyl liner caused by a polaris cleaner. I'm not sure that's something the PB should or will address.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What about the Pool Base, anyone? Does a 2-3 foot section of squishy base cause a concern?
    Clint
    Pentair: Intelliflo VS3050 pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Clean and Clear 320 cartridge filter, LA01N 3/4hp booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

A squishy base is a problem with water underneath. Was there water at the dig? Is there a drywell? Have you notified the builder? The township that inspected?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

they put a dead man in during the build but the squishy base is higher than the dead man spot. Also the opposite side is where I would have expected it to occur as that is the up hill from where this spot is )c: Builder is non-responsive )c:

its right below the steel wall in this picture. It spans several panels but definitely the two panels above the drain )c:
    Clint

6. Back To Top    #6

YAY! builder called, he says he'll come out (c:
    Clint

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe not enough cement mixed with the vermic. What did the PB say? Im replacing a liner today in a pool thats only 5 or 6 years old. Large 18x40 L and the entire floor is a giant sponge
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

8. Back To Top    #8

He hasn't been out yet, will let you know what he says
    Clint

9. Back To Top    #9

Any word?
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW

10. Back To Top    #10

not yet, but he has another problem to deal with that will require his presence now. Something isn't grounded quite right. When i'm wet, bathing suit wet, deck wet, both, and I put my hand in the pool to get the skimmer or anything really, the little nicks and cuts on my hands tingle like a slight current. Same thing happened with my feet after I cut my toenails.
    Clint

11. Back To Top    #11

~sigh~ he says that it is likely a ground water seep pushing up. He implied it was because that are was backfill and that the water weight pushed the "spring" that was underneath the pool that way. When he put the pool in he put a dead man in there that I thought was supposed to take care of that water seepage )c:He said "We'll keep an eye on it as it really doesn't affect the pool", he even went so far as to say it was probably ok because some folks put their pool over a sand base. He did suggest a possible option of running a french drain in there to siphon off some water. Not the answer I wanted.

Also, he was far more worried about the wear along the transition edge. he said he had never seen the like and was going to get a track conversion kit for my polaris.
    Pics of the wear:

Clint

12. Back To Top    #12

You have the same liner that I have and I have the same wear marks in just over a year in the same area. My PB said it is the polaris and was nothing he could do about it. What is a track conversion kit?
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by kenmccall
    You have the same liner that I have and I have the same wear marks in just over a year in the same area. My PB said it is the polaris and was nothing he could do about it. What is a track conversion kit?
    Think of it like a tank track is what I was told. it forces the wheels to turn together and supposedly prevents it from slowly proceeding down the transition like it does to make this wear. He also moved the rear jet to 11 o'clock. He indicated that that itself might alleviate the run doen the transition
    Clint

14. Back To Top    #14

Any thoughts?
    I am really POd about the liner. the pool is not even a year old and that wear is across the whole width of the pool at the transition line. It appears that the polaris is sucking pretty hard on that line for some reason. I caught it in the same spot for a good 3 or 4 minutes before i bumped it along today
    Clint

15. Back To Top    #15

clint, sorry i didn't get to your PM faster. Haven't been online. As for the polaris, right near the end of the hose where it plugs into your pool wall there is a pressure relief valve. You can open it up a bit and that will cause the polaris to slow down a little. The polaris works on pressure, not suction so i don't think its sucking too hard so to say.

As for your sink hole, isn't your pool under warranty? The PB should drain, fill, and reset the liner at no charge. ITS ONLY A YEAR OLD! A friend of mine who is a local pool builder, gives the homeowner a 2 year warranty on his work. ( pool floor, plumbing ect) Even though the sink hole way very well be from water under the pool, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't fix it.
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW