Sudden Air Bubbles in Return

May 24, 2010
Hi all,

Near the end of last season, I mistakenly shut the Jandy valve before turning off the pump (Hayward "Super Pump") which resulted in a big shudder as everything locked up for a moment. I quickly reopened the valve, but evidently caused a seal to break as I started getting air bubbles coming out of the return. Was hoping the situation would magically heal itself over the winter, but no such luck.

Yesterday, I sealed the connections between the pump and Jandy with Lexel, but no improvement. Any thoughts on other areas -- between the Jandy and the pump -- that might have been damaged by the jolt I created.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Where is the valve you closed located in your plumbing?

Air bubbles indicate a leak between the pool (skimmer, drain) and the pump inlet, or in the pump strainer basket itself. Leaks anywhere else will show up as water leaking out.

You should take a hose and run water over all the pipe joints between your jandy valve and pump, while the pump is running. If the bubble stop with water running over one of the joints, you've found the leak. You may have to pull the pipes apart and replace them if the Lexel doesn't work on it.

One other quick question. Would the sudden jolt cause damage to the pump itself that would cause air bubbles? The pump seems to be working fine, though perhaps slightly noisier (though that could be the air running through). Or would bubbles be caused only by breaks to seals in front of the pump inlet?
Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.