Do nothing till Test Kit arrives...

jck

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2010
Im glad I found this place. I went to 2 pool stores in the last 2 days to have a test done. Im waiting on my test kit TF100 to arrive before I do anything.. One day diff in test.. But diff place.

1st place.
Fc 5.0
PH 7.8
TA 100
CH 155
CYA 65

2ed place
FC 5.8
PH 7.9
TA 107
CYA 10

Butterfly said:
Good for you, jck :goodjob:

Have you seen this from Taylor showing the CYA test procedure? Pics near the bottom:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=36

I just book marked it.. Thanks..

Other question above.. Pool looks very good.

I been chasing a demon the last month. Yellow mess on bottom. A pool guy said it was dirt. But another guy said it was mustard algae. I treated the pool with yellow out a week ago an all the stuff on the bottom vanished. There is still a very small amount. BUt can hardly see any. I just vacuum it to waste. Once my kit gets here this week I hope to get it all under control.

I have one more deal going on. I thought there was a leak. I have sand that is washing out in one spot in the pool but we put dye there an nothing.

My pool was put together by a Crud builder that went out of business. My plan is if I can make it through the summer is pull it down an level the bottom an put down a better bottom.

Okay enough rant Ill have question as I get my kit. Im excited to have found yall an get a real grip on this pool deal..

Hope this is right?

well Im doing my fist over night test. Its 6 now. I guess I check it before the sun gets to it in the morning.

FC 8.5
CC .5
TC 9
PH 7.5
TA 140
CH 200
CYA 38

Well now we will see what happens over night..

There are no dumb questions...I agree the yellow OTO is good for presence of chlorine only. I personally use the fas dpd test daily, but you could start with fas/dpd every day for the first week until you get a handle on your daily chlorine demand. Then switch to fas/dpd every other day and do the yellow OTO in between. To me the extra cost of the fas/dpd refills is worth knowing exactly how much chlorine I have every day...but the again I have a confirmed case of sparklypoolitis and 4 kids that are in the pool every day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jck said:
would like to know if doing a over night test for 12 hours is to long. and is 1.5 drop okay?
No and No. You can apply the same criteria that is used to determine if the shock process is complete....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Seems like 1 and 2 have been met but your overnight loss is still a little too high. A boost in FC back up to 15ppm or so will kill whatever else remains and get your FC overnight loss to 1ppm or less.....you're very close.

duraleigh said:
jck said:
would like to know if doing a over night test for 12 hours is to long. and is 1.5 drop okay?
No and No. You can apply the same criteria that is used to determine if the shock process is complete....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Seems like 1 and 2 have been met but your overnight loss is still a little too high. A boost in FC back up to 15ppm or so will kill whatever else remains and get your FC overnight loss to 1ppm or less.....you're very close.

1. It is sparking....

I will get the shock deal going now till I have no drop...

after I add to shock how long do I need to wait to test to make sure I have it at shock level? Sorry for all the question. By next year I should have it figured out.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Jck - this overnight demand can also be caused by the Yellow out product you used. Just hang in there it will be gone shortly.

Wait about 30-60 min to test it.

Thanks Just retested its at 17.5 added what the pool cal said. Give are take a few cups..

Looks like them nasty Backswimmers are back from last year. I hate them! Saw 2 are 3 this morn..

When I first open the pool and have not properly sanitized it, I seem to always have a few backswimmers. Once the water is clear and I have maintained the FC levels for a few days, they disappear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.