Draining & Refilling

Aug 3, 2009
Hi,

I posted late last year regarding problems that I was having as a new pool owner:

green-pool-new-pool-owner-t16161-60.html

Had someone look at the pool a month or so back to make some suggestions re opening, his suggestion was a complete drain and refill. He gave me a quote on doing the necessary cleaning, chemicalisation etc, but he did not want to get involved in the draining.

I have just about drained the pool down to 10 inches in the deep-end, only to find that he no longer has the availability to do the work!

So, it would appear to be down to me. My plan for the weekend is thus to clean the pool entirely, remove any debris that I can from the pump, filter etc, and then commence the refill.

Are there any other jobs that I am overlooking prior to refill?

Would also appreciate advice on how I should go about this refill. My guess is that it is likely to take 4 days to fill my pool so, should I be adding chemicals at any point, or should I wait until the water is up to the skimmer level?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

How are you filling it?
You'll want to inspect your sand while you've got it down. You'll also want to lube all the o-rings etc too.

Your plan sounds good.
If you can draw water from the main drain alone then you can start chlorinating it as soon as you get a couple of feet of water in it if you can get the pump to prime. If not you can add some chlorine and brush really good to stir it up since you think it's going to take 4 days.

How do you plan on chlorinating it once you get it full?

Thought I would update you.

Pool man did get back to me, and came to do the clean/service yesterday. Started the refill last night, my guess is that there is still around a day and a half to go. He is going to return to balance the chemicals when the water is up to the skimmers.

Pool is looking good - this is the first time I have amnaged to see the bottom since we moved there almost a year ago!

Will give an update when I have the chemicals in, and the filter has been running for afew days. In the meantime, back to Pool School for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.