Pool Putty Recommendation

May 24, 2010
Alamo, CA
Horizontal crack just under the gunite spa bench seat needs to be filled/sealed. Can someone recommend a pool putty? Dry and/or wet cure 2-part putties are available? The water level in the spa can be readily lowered so that I can fix the crack in the dry (preferred).

Thanks

Thanks Sean. I've seen the product online and it's also offered at Leslie's Pool Supply. Any preferred retailer? I'm also bringing in some pool plastering companies to take a look and to give me estimates. One company already wants to use pressure injected grout! Overkill!?

The A & B Putty is usable under water or while dry. You mix the A and B parts like kneading dough. You'll have just a few minutes to blend it and push it into the crack, so depending on how much you need to do, you may want to mix as much as you can work with at a time. Once you've pressed it in the crack, you can use a wet finger to smooth it out.

This is not the same as the liquidy two part epoxy that you have to use a mixing stick to blend. The A & B is like working with play dough.

Project completed! The horizontal crack that ran along all four sides of the spa has been patched and sealed with A+B Epoxy. Yes, defininitely wet the combined putty to have better workability. Otherwise, applying it dry, the putty tends to flake. The 6' x 6' spa used to lose about 3.5" of water each day (equivalent to 80 gal/day). Since the patch on Saturday, the water level in the spa has essentially (except for evaporation) remained the same.

Another believer in A+B Epoxy. I'll report back in the months ahead to describe how the stuff holds up over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.