Star-Rite Heater Blower comes on by itself

JuanSD

May 25, 2010
Hi, I have a 400K BUT Star-Rite heater that is about 10 years old and has been working properly.

Blower now started to turn on by itself when the controls are all off. No lights on Jandy RS panels, pumps are off, heater control panel is off. Flower has mind of its own.

Had the usual mouse problems and had to rebuild the wiring. It was working fine a couple of days ago and have not had a chance to see if it fire up properly.

The top panel is pretty ugly (overlay came off) due to weather wear. Heater is controlled by Jandy Aqualink RS system. I have the heater control panel protected from the elements.

When I put the Jandy controller on service mode and enable heater, the heater control panel lights up and red "Service Heater" light is on.

On the Jandy control box, I replaced the relays, as this have caused similar symptons with the pumps.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting or experience with similar issues?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!!

I've got 10 years experience with the Sta-Rite "R2D2" (max -e- therm) heaters - and the mouse problem.

First thing I'd do is double check the wiring, to make sure some wire doesn't have a chewed through casing that's letting volts go where they shouldn't.

I'm a little pressed for time this week (everyone wants their pool up and running for this weekend) but will try to help you diagnose and repair this problem :)

Hi Ted - thanks - I will have to open the heater later on this week and look for damage. I did get a chance to check if the heater would fire up after I got home from work. Turned on the pump for the spa and enabled the heater. It fired up fine - I checked the heater panel and no "Service" lite.

Will keep you posted after I inspect the wiring.

Thanks - Juan

Hi Ted,

Had a change to open the unit and found that despite my best efforts to mouse/rat proof, one got in and was building a nest. Cleaned out next and will patch the wiring. I think this unit is the worst in design for rat nesting.

Any advice on mouse proofing?? Seems best when I leave the covers off.
Tried mesh on the outside and that seemed to work for a while, but it is a pain if you need to open the unit.
Tried stuffing mesh where they like to nest and that seemed to work, then they built on top of the mesh.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks
Juan

Juan, at least we know it was indeed a mouse issue :p

We call them the 'mouse house' at work :lol:

We have tried chemical deterrents, mothballs, poison, herbs with mixed results :rant: What we have been able to get to work (a couple of times) is packing steel wool in ALL the holes that the wires pass through into the central 'hub' and up to the lid and all gaps > 1/4". We only had a small amount of steel wool so could only try it on a couple units :(

On the other hand, we've opened a few units in which a snake had taken up residence and there were 0 mice :twisted: - see if you can't talk a nice, non venomous snake into moving in to your heater :-D

I definitely hear what your saying about the mouse issue with these heaters and will continue to proffer up advice , as you need it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.