Very Cloudy Pool

Ejay

May 18, 2010
Currituck NC
We just purchased a home with an AG pool which has been left uncovered and utouched for a year or more. It was dark green, I pumped the water out until it was about a foot deep and refilled with clean water. Prior to reading this website I began shocking with bags of shock and used a 5$ test kit, this was 2 weeks ago I ended up adding 10 bags of shock which changed the water color from a rather dark green to a cloudy/milky blue. I found this site about a week ago and armed myself with a k-2006 test kit, ipod pool calculater, 12 jugs of walmart bleach (186 oz) some borax, muratic acid and baking soda. So friday I checked the water:
fc - 2
ph - 7.5
cya - 40
ta - 100
I brought the fc up to 15 and have held it between 12 and 20 for 3.5 days,(9 jugs of bleach) it seems to drop about 4 ppm overnight. I checked cc and it was 1. My problem is that I have seen no change in the water at all . Is this normal? Am I being too impatient? Thanks in advance for any help and this seems to be a very informitive web site. Will try and send a pic.
Ej

It can take a while to clear algae, just keep plugging with your shock levels as long as you have FC loss, I am on week six of shocking so sometimes you need some serious POP (pool owner patience) to clear it.

It may, but prob not, as long as you maintain shock level. The reason I ask about CH is I'm wondering if it is really high, it could be clouding the pool water...other than that it seems like dead algae that just needs to be filtered out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was wondering about that the problem is working in the blind, I really don't know whats down there (could be monsters) if I try to net the bottom it usually comes up empty but it sometimes causes gunk to float up. I have never seen my the bottom of my liner and am kind of curious what it looks like.
Thank so much for the help !
Ej

yup...17 to 14 overnight would indicate you are not done shocking. Keep it shock level, it will clear...your looking for an overnight FC loss of 1ppm or less. :goodjob:

Finally got it clear last weekend, after flocking we were able to see the bottom and vaccum out the remaining crud. It seemed like as soon as I got the bottom vacuumed clean the chlorine level began holding (<1ppm drop) overnight. We did switch to zeo also, not sure if it was needed but we had good luck with it in another pool. Does our bleach use seem a little high at about 90 oz a day to maintain 4 ppm ? The cya dropped after vacuuming to waste and I just now got it back to about 45, kinda overshot. Anyway heres a pic.

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 154
No we do not have a solar cover, we are in the process of moving and may only be at the pool every other day, if its at 4 ppm and I add a big jug of bleach (182oz?) about 48 hours later it is back at 4 ppm. The overnight loss friday was < 1. Thanks for the help everyone this site has been great.
Ej

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.