Any advice for my newly broken multiport valve?

Mar 9, 2009
Midwest
I'm still a newbie, and I screwed up and switched the valve while the pump was running. Water squirted out while switching it, and now it's not working. Initially I switched from Filter to Closed and then switched to Waste and back to Closed, before realizing the mistake.

I was wondering if there is anything DIY that I should try before I call and hire a pool repair expert. Also, if I call, maybe you can tell me approx how much this should cost to fix or how to know if the guy is giving me an OK price?

I think I need it fixed ASAP because every day of the pool sitting there with no filtration is going to end up costing me (more time and cost for chemicals)? I was just going to vac the pool and then do a major shock of keeping the chlorine high for 24+ hours, and then go swimming.

It is a Hayward vari-flow XL valve and my entire system was verified to be functioning before I did this to it. Now it won't achieve suction and doesn't have water in the pipes apparently. My friend tried to put water in there with no luck?

I read that the gasket can get unseated/unsealed... might that be all that's wrong? Is it a bad idea to get a friend (who has no pool knowledge but has average general handyman knowledge) to open it up and see if the seal is bad, and reseal it if so?

Thanks a bunch as usual!

Whew, I hope so. So ummm... shouldn't be hard to figure out how to open it up? And figure out which need resealing? If they are unseated, all I need is to get some sealant, no special tools or replacement parts, and see if that works?

Well, upon unscrewing the top, I don't see anything to repair. All I see is a large black o-ring that looks to be in excellent condition, and then underneath there's a gummy yellowish seal to divide each 'pie wedge' part, and that looks fine as well. When I turn on the filter, I am getting air bubbles coming out of one jet, and nothing coming out of the 2nd jet. So I guess that means there is some leak in the pump system. Time to get an expert out here......? :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.