How do I open a stuck filter?

Renron

May 18, 2010
Placerville , Ca.
Hello, I'm Ron, and I have a problem.......or seven. :cheers: But one at a time is best. :)
I have read a number of posts from other who have received thoughtful and professional information on a variety of topics from this Forum, thanks in advance for your help.
Here's my question;
How do you open a filter canister that's stuck and won't budge without beating it to death? It's a Jandy CJ 200 that has retainer springs under the handles which must be released before the band can be turned (supposition).
The pool has been unattended for >6 months as it was a bank owned property. (PITA) It's very green and I'd like to drain it down and inspect it before adding chemicals. It could use a good bleach / water mix sprayed and scrubbed while it's empty. I have no idea what's at the bottom of the "Jimmy Hoffa" memorial frog pond. Can't see down past the first step. Lots of tadpoles and mosquito larvae though. :goodjob:
I have ordered my TF100 so I'll be prepared when I fill 'er up again.

Thanks to all,

Ron

Renron said:
Here's my question;
How do you open a filter canister that's stuck and won't budge without beating it to death? It's a Jandy CJ 200 that has retainer springs under the handles which must be released before the band can be turned (supposition).
I looked over the directions posted just above. Looks like those ears get pushed up (two of 'em) and then the ring will turn. Well, will turn if given enough torque.

You may need a strap wrench. And a second person.

And as long as you're headed to the hardware store, look for some silicon lube to use when you reassemble it.

Thanks for the replies,
This pool stuff is very new to me, but I'm a very fast learner. And a General Contractor / Home Inspector.
I had help from a local pool repair / service technician and we both released the under handle locks and tried to turn the ring. No go. We tried hard and almost broke the 2" pipes attached. That's why I asked if there was another way to open it other than beating it to death. A servicemans' trick if you will. Sorry that I wasn't clear enough in my original post. The silicone spray seem like a good idea. I'll give it a go. Perhaps a couple of "C" clamps to hold the clips and a pair of rubber mallets to give her a Smack! I'll post my method(s) when I get it opened up.
Sorry, I do not mean to be rude here, if I came across that way, I apologize.
Not the way I want to start an online relationship with this Forum. I appreciate the assistance.

Ron

Howdy Ron, Welcome to TFP. :wave: You'll get lots of assistance here. Everyone is patient and kind.

I can't help you with your problem but someone who knows will be along. This is a really busy time for our pros, "in the industry" but it is amazing how they do take some time to help all of us in need.

gg=alice

:whoot:
She's Free!
I opened up the air bleeder and the drain, let out some stinky green water. Maybe 1/2 gallon. Got my son to help me turn the ring while I swung the rubber mallet. He wouldn't let me swing it at the latch he was holding. Smart man! A few good solid thumps and PoP, it released.
Thanks to all who posted to help me with this.
Here are a couple of pics of my "Jimmy Hoffa memorial frog pond" that I'm going to try to clean up.
Photo of dirty filter (different filter than the stuck one), a non swimming rodent (floats good though!) and a view of what the pool and spa look like. I'll start a new thread and ask for help with that project in a few days. On a good note; my new T100 test kit arrived today! Wow, what a monster of a test kit!

Thanks,
Ron

HELP. I have the same problem. Filter is a Jacuzzi triclops model. I have relieved pressure, Tried hammering it counter clockwise still won't budge. Even had 2 pool service men try and no go. There is no Ring lok on the housing just the band. Is there any trick to this model I need to know. I just purchased the property and pool was not serviced for a long time. I will try some silicon lubricant but any advice would be appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try two pieces of 2X4 wood blocking and using a hammer on each with two people tap it in the direction to loosen on opposite sides of the filter band, use gentle taps and it should come loose.

Its a two man job though, don't hit it too hard its only plastic. A heat gun can help also if its really stuck.

4JawChuck said:
Try two pieces of 2X4 wood blocking and using a hammer on each with two people tap it in the direction to loosen on opposite sides of the filter band, use gentle taps and it should come loose.

Its a two man job though, don't hit it too hard its only plastic. A heat gun can help also if its really stuck.

this is a good idea. Unfortunatley I think it has to be replaced.
Is there a thread on converting from element to DE? I am brand new to this and trying to learn as much as possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.