Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I open a stuck filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I open a stuck filter?

Hello, I'm Ron, and I have a problem.......or seven. But one at a time is best.
    I have read a number of posts from other who have received thoughtful and professional information on a variety of topics from this Forum, thanks in advance for your help.
    Here's my question;
    How do you open a filter canister that's stuck and won't budge without beating it to death? It's a Jandy CJ 200 that has retainer springs under the handles which must be released before the band can be turned (supposition).
    The pool has been unattended for >6 months as it was a bank owned property. (PITA) It's very green and I'd like to drain it down and inspect it before adding chemicals. It could use a good bleach / water mix sprayed and scrubbed while it's empty. I have no idea what's at the bottom of the "Jimmy Hoffa" memorial frog pond. Can't see down past the first step. Lots of tadpoles and mosquito larvae though.
    I have ordered my TF100 so I'll be prepared when I fill 'er up again.

Thanks to all,

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I open a stuck filter?

http://www.jandy-downloads.com/pdfs/H05564C.pdf
    Here is the user guide,
    Can you remove the locking ring at all?
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Renron
    Here's my question;
    How do you open a filter canister that's stuck and won't budge without beating it to death? It's a Jandy CJ 200 that has retainer springs under the handles which must be released before the band can be turned (supposition).
    I looked over the directions posted just above. Looks like those ears get pushed up (two of 'em) and then the ring will turn. Well, will turn if given enough torque.

You may need a strap wrench. And a second person.

And as long as you're headed to the hardware store, look for some silicon lube to use when you reassemble it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies,
    This pool stuff is very new to me, but I'm a very fast learner. And a General Contractor / Home Inspector.
    I had help from a local pool repair / service technician and we both released the under handle locks and tried to turn the ring. No go. We tried hard and almost broke the 2" pipes attached. That's why I asked if there was another way to open it other than beating it to death. A servicemans' trick if you will. Sorry that I wasn't clear enough in my original post. The silicone spray seem like a good idea. I'll give it a go. Perhaps a couple of "C" clamps to hold the clips and a pair of rubber mallets to give her a Smack! I'll post my method(s) when I get it opened up.
    Sorry, I do not mean to be rude here, if I came across that way, I apologize.
    Not the way I want to start an online relationship with this Forum. I appreciate the assistance.

Ron

5. Back To Top    #5

LOL,
    A REALLY big strap wrench...and a truck to pull it with.

Britt,
    Thank you for posting the link to the filter for me. Very thoughtful. Gives me an incite to how the ring locks.
    Thank you.

Ron

6. Back To Top    #6

Howdy Ron, Welcome to TFP. You'll get lots of assistance here. Everyone is patient and kind.

I can't help you with your problem but someone who knows will be along. This is a really busy time for our pros, "in the industry" but it is amazing how they do take some time to help all of us in need.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!!

Have you relieved the pressure on the filter? Open the air relief valve on top or remove the drain plug on the bottom

I won't guaranty that this will solve the problem, but it's the first thing I'd try
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Ted,
    Brilliant!
    I hadn't thought of that, of course, vacuum, negative pressure, I'll give it a try!

Thanks,
    Ron

P.S. Makes this a Great forum when folks just jump in with tips and ideas.

9. Back To Top    #9

She's Free!
    I opened up the air bleeder and the drain, let out some stinky green water. Maybe 1/2 gallon. Got my son to help me turn the ring while I swung the rubber mallet. He wouldn't let me swing it at the latch he was holding. Smart man! A few good solid thumps and PoP, it released.
    Thanks to all who posted to help me with this.
    Here are a couple of pics of my "Jimmy Hoffa memorial frog pond" that I'm going to try to clean up.
    Photo of dirty filter (different filter than the stuck one), a non swimming rodent (floats good though!) and a view of what the pool and spa look like. I'll start a new thread and ask for help with that project in a few days. On a good note; my new T100 test kit arrived today! Wow, what a monster of a test kit!

Thanks,
    Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

HELP. I have the same problem. Filter is a Jacuzzi triclops model. I have relieved pressure, Tried hammering it counter clockwise still won't budge. Even had 2 pool service men try and no go. There is no Ring lok on the housing just the band. Is there any trick to this model I need to know. I just purchased the property and pool was not serviced for a long time. I will try some silicon lubricant but any advice would be appreciated.

11. Back To Top    #11

Take a picture of it and we'll try to help.
    Picture and a thousand word...blah....blah....blah.

Do you own a rubber mallet?

Ron

12. Back To Top    #12

Try two pieces of 2X4 wood blocking and using a hammer on each with two people tap it in the direction to loosen on opposite sides of the filter band, use gentle taps and it should come loose.

Its a two man job though, don't hit it too hard its only plastic. A heat gun can help also if its really stuck.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    Try two pieces of 2X4 wood blocking and using a hammer on each with two people tap it in the direction to loosen on opposite sides of the filter band, use gentle taps and it should come loose.

Its a two man job though, don't hit it too hard its only plastic. A heat gun can help also if its really stuck.
    this is a good idea. Unfortunatley I think it has to be replaced.
    Is there a thread on converting from element to DE? I am brand new to this and trying to learn as much as possible.

14. Back To Top    #14

I'd take the rubber mallet and go around the ring giving it a good thunk every six inches or so--maybe two or three times. I've never had the problem, but I bet it would help.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.