Hayward pump overflows

Monty

May 24, 2010
Hi:

I'm new to this forum. Seems like there is a lot of good info here! I just replaced my Spa jets pump(Hayward SP4010NS) and everything worked fine except that when I turn off the pump water comes back from both return and suction sides overflowing the basket. I had to close the manual shut off valve on both sides to avoid overflowing. The pump is directly piped to the Spa jets(doesn't go through the pool\Spa filter). Any advice will be appreciated......

Monty

Welcome to TFP!

In normal operation the basket should be closed and sealed, so there shouldn't be a problem. When you do need to open the basket, you may well have to close the valves before opening the basket. If the pump is below the spa water level, the valves need to be closed before opening the strainer basket. If the pump is above the spa water level, I wouldn't expect it to overflow.

"In normal operation the basket should be closed and sealed, so there shouldn't be a problem. "
[Monty] Yes No porblem in normal operation

"When you do need to open the basket, you may well have to close the valves before opening the basket. If the pump is below the spa water level, the valves need to be closed before opening the strainer basket. If the pump is above the spa water level, I wouldn't expect it to overflow."

[Monty]The pump is below the spa water level. I have closed the valves an opened the strainer basker lid but when I open the valves again after closing the lid water start flowing back into the pump. BTW the strainer basket is full of water during non operation mode while in my Pool\Spa and water feature pumps they are abut 1/4 full,

What you are describing sounds normal. Water should flow back into the pump when the valves are open and during non operation, the pump basket should remain completely full of water. When the lid is on, does the pump leak water when off?

However, it sounds like there could be an issue with your other pumps as they should remain full when they are shut off. Usually an air leak somewhere causes the pump to partially drain. If the water feature pump is for a water fall and it does not have a check valve, then it could partially drain.

Ok thanks for all the repplies. Perhaps I was not very clear in explaining the problem. During shutoff water flows back into the pump basket and cause it to overflow. Water leaks through the lid continuously.

THe lid should not leak like that when the pump is off. It might squirt as Waste pointed out but not continuously leak. This is likely caused by a bad pump lid seal or the lid is not on tight enough. Lube the seal and lid lip and then tighten. Prime pump and then shut off. If it is still leaking, with the pump running, try to tighten it further.

Ok I tried tightening the lid more but it still leaks, although significantly less than before. I also exchanged lids from another pump but no success. I tightened the lid to the point that it is only a very minor trickle at this point. I get the feeling that the pump housing is warped thus not sealing uniformly. I have two other pumps(pool\SPA and water feature) and a simple hand tightening will do. Not sure what to do next...

Have you tried to replace the lid seal? Also, look at the lip inside the pump basket and make sure there are no marks or indentations which would allow water to leak around the seal.

How high is the spa above the pump?

One the negatives again the Northstar is the pump lids don't seal well under pressure which could be the main problem. They do make a wrench to tighten and loosen the lid but I found that if you tighten the lid while the pump is running, you can tighten it a lot more than with the pump off.

Thanks Mark. I will check the lip and try to hand tighten while the pump is running. The SPA is about 3.5 feet higher than the pump and btw I checked the pool\spa pump in spa mode in it also leak although it is just a minor trickle. Do they sell the seal sperately? If so where can I get them?

Thanks,
Ken

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.