gulf coast of Texas
Here are my current numbers:

FC 1.5
CC .5
pH 7.5
TA 160
CH 440
CYA 20

I know I need to lower my TA, CH and up my CYA. CYA is coming up slowly as the number was lower a few days ago. I'll post a pic of my pool water in a bit. I bought 19 (96oz) bottles of bleach. Think that will be enough, or do I need to buy more on hand? Also bought another bag of DE as I'm nearly out of my other one from bumping and dumping. So I haven't had to fight algae before. When is the best time to start this? Morning? I know it says to run the pump/filter 24/7...but do I have to wake up at night to go out there and bump it??? I really don't want to do that as we live out in the country and the pool is away from the house...afraid of snakes or whatnot that roams out here. LOL

Start by reading How To Shock Your Pool in Pool School. That should answer some of your questions.

The fastest way to deal with algae is to do it intensively all at once, checking and adding chlorine every hour, but you can work at it more slowly if you want/need to.

Shocking in the evening is slightly more efficient, since you lose less chlorine to sunlight, but shocking during the day works just as well at killing algae. If day time is good for you, then do it in the daytime. If the filter pressure is going up rapidly and you can't be around to deal with the filter you can turn the pump off till you get back. Just be sure to run the pump for at least an hour after the final chemical addition and don't leave it any longer than you have to.

Okay, new numbers...just did the drop test

Last night 10pm:
FC 30
CC 0

This morning 7am:
FC 21
CC .5

Water looks 90% BETTER!! I can see the bottom! There is a patch of algae on the other side of the pool and the problem is..I can't get to it. Can't get in the pool cause I just got an ankle tattoo last weekend and theres no deck so I can stand higher to brush it. I'm short 5'1". Will have to get DH in the pool as the kids will swim and play if I put them in to do it. LOL

There is a LOT of Crud on the bottom of the pool. I guess its dead algae? Its all brown, but fluffy...like dirt...but not dirt. does that make sense? LOL I have started to vacuum it up...but getting up on the ladder...vacuuming...then getting down to bump the filter...and so on..its really tiring. And it fills up with the Crud quickly...so I'm having to drain the used DE and Crud out and putting in new DE. Is there an easier way to do this? Can I vacuum to waste? But the thing is...when I open the drain..it makes a HUGE wet mess on the ground. Do they make a hose I can attach and run out to the pasture for the dirty water and gunk? I don't mind vacuuming to waste..but I need to figure how to get it to drain out away from the pool because its becoming a slosh pit there now.

Can you even vacuum to waste with a DE filter?? I never thought about it. I have the Hayward EC50 DE filter.

Yes!

They do make a hose that attaches to the discharge of the multiport to route the water to whever you want it. It's a flat hose and you just clamp it on and roll it out where you want to. With the proper fittings you can connect them together.

It all depends on your multiport valve. Most of them have a "waste" setting but some do not. You'll just have to look and see.

Okay..I don't have a mulitport valve on the drain. It just came with a cap that screws on. The only multiport valve it has the at the top were the return hose is attached. I look in the handbook and it shows that a multiport valve(or ball type drain valve as it lists in the book) is optional. Where can I buy one of these at? And do I need to measure the opening or something to get the right size? And the hose? Can I get these at the local pool store or where would I get them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, either of those will have the hose and the adaptor. They have blue hose in rolls so you can buy as much as you need. That looks like an 1½" plug but your best bet is to take it with you to whever you get the adaptor at.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.