Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: first test with TF100

1. Back To Top    #1

first test with TF100

New to this testing thing here is my results what do I need to add to get the cya up?

fc 0
    ph 7.2
    ta 80
    ch 120
    cya does not register on test
    pol temp 70
    Vinyl pool 37,000 gallons 2hp hayward , sand filter, true L 18-41-16-28 - 9 foot deep end .. Solar panels with goldline automation ..3/4 hp polaris 380 ..BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first test with TF100

CYA is really cyanuric acid, which is often sold as either conditioner or stabilizer. Look for 95+% cyanuric acid on the label. It is sold mostly by pool stores, in the pool section of many big box stores like WalMart, Target, Home Depot, and Lowes, and on the Internet.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay thanks how much cyanuric acid should I buy I think my pool is around 40,000 gallons dont know how to figure it out.

My pool is 18-41-16-28 true L deep end is 8 or 9 feet I think its 9 because we have a didving board..
    Vinyl pool 37,000 gallons 2hp hayward , sand filter, true L 18-41-16-28 - 9 foot deep end .. Solar panels with goldline automation ..3/4 hp polaris 380 ..BBB method

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use the Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to help you figure out the answers to these questions. Divide the pool into two rectangles, calculate their volume separately and then add them together. Then use the CYA section to see how much CYA you need for a pool of that volume to raise CYA from 0 to 40.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

got it hopefuly I did it correct pool is 31000
    need to add

166 oz stabilizer
    91 oz borax
    146 oz baking soda

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by twinsticks
    got it hopefuly I did it correct pool is 31000
    need to add

166 oz stabilizer
    91 oz borax
    146 oz baking soda
    Yes, 166 oz of CYA should get your CYA to about 40, assuming the 31K.

You do not need to add borax or baking soda. Your pH an and TA are fine where they are.

You do, however, need chlorine! You have zero FC and no CYA. Add enough bleach/liquid chlorine to maintain 2ppm FC until you get some CYA in there.
    Then adjust FC accordingly. See the Chlorine/CYA chart in my sig and in Pool School.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Made a mistake pool is 37000 gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

You can use bleach to help calculate your gallons. One gallon of bleach will raise 10,000 gallons of water approximately the percentage of the bleach in FC (i.e, one gallon of 6% ultra bleach will raise 10,000 gallons approx. 6 ppm FC).
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!