Outdoor Speaker Opinions...PLEASE

DMAN11

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA area
Hey Guys & Gals,

I'm working on setting up some speakers outside for our patio/pool area, and wanted to get you guys' opinions.

The options I'm looking at are between a few different speakers, so here we go:

1) Yamaha NS-AW350W/NS-AW390WH --- @$100.00 at Amazon

2) OutdoorSpeakerD***t.com - AP640 --- $90.00

3) Parts-Express - Dayton IO650W --- $95.00

4) Parts-Express - TIC ASP120 --- $111.00

All are based on 6.5" speakers. I think this will suffice for our patio (15X40) and out to the pool area. Future plans include possibly adding a couple of rocks possibly, but I want to start with these.

Can I get your opinions on these speakers, prices, and/or companies??

I know that OSD isn't necessarily "liked" everywhere, but I've read alot of good reviews. What about any PE and Amazon experiences you've had?

Thanks guys,,,,,,,DMAN

I am very happy with our Yamaha speakers. Going on three years without any issues. I do take them in for the winter. Installed junction boxes with banana plugs for a quick disconnect of the wires.

My setup is probably different then most since I have the speakers out by the filter. They face the pool and house. We are sitting about 75ft. from them across the pool. And the house kind of bounces back the sound, at least it's not just traveling away from us or directly to the neighbors. :party:

X2 for the Yamaha. I don't bring them in for winter, but I'm in FL. Going on three years, no issues whatsoever. I paid around $100 for them; and order from Amazon frequently - nothing but good to say about Amazon.

Sorry, I can 't comment on the speakers in your list, but I have a set of the Polk Atrium 60s and they are excellent speakers. I had them quite loud this weekend so we could hear them over the slide, and they took the extra juice without distorting a bit. I have also heard the Boston Acoustics Voyager series and they are nice as well.

I have always had good luck with Amazon.
Purchased my Atrium's from Crutchfield.

I have Bose 151 Environmental speakers, going on 15 years! I leave them out every winter and hose them down when they get dirty. I have found the bass response to be excellent for such a small speaker size.

X3 for the Yamaha's. I have 2 pairs, both purchased from OSD. They have great sound for such an inexpensive speaker and will take lots of weather abuse. Although I bought mine from OSD, prices can vary from site to site so check around.

I saw what you mentioned, but have seen this at best buy and they seem to have very good reviews.

Insignia® - 3-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Pair) Model: IS-SP3WAY | SKU: 7314523 (32.98)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...4&skuId=7314523&st=outdoor speakers&cp=1&lp=1

Insignia® - Simulated Rock Outdoor Speakers (Pair) Model: NS-R2111 | SKU: 8278124 (99.97)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...7&skuId=8278124&st=outdoor speakers&cp=1&lp=2

Insignia® - 130W 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Pair) Model: NS-E2111 | SKU: 7682769 (82.98)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...5&skuId=7682769&st=outdoor speakers&cp=1&lp=3

Thanks Everyone,

I appreciate you guys taking time to chime in. I got some good info here.

crabboy -- I like those Polks, and if I could do it, would probably go with some Bostons (I hear the Voyager 7's are killer) but a little out of my league on price.

J20832 -- WOW!! 15 years?? that's awesome. But again, the Bose, as much as I would love to get some are a bit pricey for us. However, if I could get a guarantee on them lasting 15 yrs, that would be an investment, not a purchase....hmmmm Naaaa, my luck they'll go out in a week...hehe

mynewpool -- I have been to BB and checked these exact speakers out this past weekend. I was actually going to buy the Insignia's (NS-R2111), UNTIL I saw the other speakers there and listened to them all. They had the Yamaha's, Bose, Klipsh, and some other brand. I really liked the Yamaha's, because they had the 6.5" woofers. The Insignia's were only 5.25", so they didn't really have the same bass response. I know outside I won't get home theater bass, but at least a little would be better than none. Plus, if I can get the Yami's for like $10-$15 dollars more, I think I might go that route.

joenj, no-mas, jkalan --- Thanks for the info on the Yamaha's. I think we will go this route. I wasn't sure about how they would stand up, but if you guys have had them for a few yrs., I think we'll be ok. Ours will be installed under our patio cover, so they won't be in direct weather and should last pretty good. We really like their sound at BB, so they might be the winners.

Thanks Again everyone,,,,,,,,

DMAN

X4 for the yamahas. I had the previous model (very similar, a little less power) at my last house with a pool a few years ago. I put 8 of them outside, all around my yard. They were great. I was so impressed with their ambient sound. Nothing was harsh. They weren't very bassy, but they always were good for ambient party music.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys and gals,

OK, ordered and received the Yamaha's and installed them for a birthday party this past weekend.

First things first,,,, the party went off without a hitch (thanks for wondering....hehehe).

Secondly, the speakers came out GREAT! I had my brother-in-law climb up in the attic with me, and since he is alot smaller than I am, he had the privilege of squirming into the edges of the attic along the eaves. We got them installed up under the patio, so they will be pretty much out of the weather, and they look really good to me. Check out the pics and let me know what yall think.

Thirdly, (is that a word).... the speakers sound AWESOME!! I am really pleased with the sound I am getting. I mounted them up kinda close to the patio ceiling, in order to take advantage of any benefit for bass reflex I might get. And I do.... the bass when on the patio is very nice with full sound all around. These speakers put out great sound in pretty much all music we put to them so far. Now, when you step out around the pool, you do lose some of the bass response, but none of the sound. They continue to perform great all the way around the pool which at it's farthest is around 50ft or so from the speakers,,, and without having to crank them up to unsafe levels.

Overall, for $92.00,,,, I couldn't be more happy with this purchase. Thanks to everyone here that gave any opinions or suggestions.

DMAN

Speakers_1.jpg

Speakers_2.jpg

Speakers_3.jpg

Speakers_4.jpg

esim,

Believe it or not, I was telling my wife the same exact thing while reading one of your posts on another thread about your setup. I was telling her that it sounded very similar to ours. We too have a receiver with zone 1 and zone 2, and now have the speakers on the patio.

Yes, you are absolutely right,,, it is a DR Horton (good OR bad), and we also live in Denham. We are in Southpoint, you anywhere close?....hehe what a small world!! You probably drive right by us everyday if you are... Good to meet ya neighbor...

DMAN

crabboy said:
Sorry, I can 't comment on the speakers in your list, but I have a set of the Polk Atrium 60s and they are excellent speakers. I had them quite loud this weekend so we could hear them over the slide, and they took the extra juice without distorting a bit. I have also heard the Boston Acoustics Voyager series and they are nice as well.

I have always had good luck with Amazon.
Purchased my Atrium's from Crutchfield.

I just got the Polks as well and they really sound quite good. They are rated to be out in the open with no overhang or shelter

In general, I've always like Yamaha speakers. Good bang for the buck. I bought some of those Insignias 3 years ago and they work great. I can't really crank it up so I didn't see the point in spending more. It looks like the prices have come down a lot.

I can confirm that the Boston Acoustics Voyager 7's sound fantastic. They have great bass response if you have them under any type of eave or overhang. I'm thinking about adding a second pair and an outdoor subwoofer, but haven't identified a subwoofer yet. Right now, I have the one pair of voyagers being driven by Zone 2 if my main home theater receiver but I am thinking of moving them to their own receiver and trying to do something with an Apple TV or Airport Express so that I can control things from an iPhone or iPad.

I have two pair of Polk Atrium 45's now and will be getting another pair before we open pool. One pair under patio. One pair facing down toward Hot Tub and final new pair will be outward facing pool. Real good sound, just not good bass. So if classic rock a good fit, rap = bad bass and style... ;o)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.