New test kit

May 21, 2010
I am looking to upgrade from my walmart test strips, but the recomended test kits are pricey and look a little complicated. I just use a easy set pool and dont know if I really need an industrial type test Kit.

Just an easy set pool is still a pool in which you and your loved ones and friends will be spending time. It is no less important to maintain a properly sanitized pool just because it is a small pool, starter pool or kiddie wading pool. In order to do this, you must take responsibility to know your water and what it is doing and the best way to do that is have a reliable test kit of your own. Proper pool maintenance requires more testing than many of us are willing to go to the poolstore to do. I have dropped 50-100 dollars nearly every time a 'professional' tests my pool so I went less often out of fear.

I hope my statements don't come across harshly, but after 7 years of letting the pool store manage my pool with their 'testing' I now have control over my pool and it is in amazing condition. I know it is safe and clean. It has NEVER been this clear or clean and I'm proud of that. My store told me my water looked like a commercial for their products...uh, no. Not hardly. Another local store charges $5 to test water if you don't buy your chemicals there. Well, I don't buy chemicals there but if I wanted a water test after 13 tests the kit has paid for itself. And if I tested a minimum of 2 times a week there, it's paid for in 6.5 weeks. My pool has been open that long already.

The tests are not complicated. My 9 year old is going to learn to do the FAS DPD this summer. She can already do the ph test. It's really not that hard.

If you have a small pool and are willing to drain it and refill when something goes wrong, WalMart sells a six way drop based test kit that is much better than their test strips and much less expensive than the kits we usually recommend. That kit has all the basics, but can't really handle more complex things, like fighting algae, very well.

If the pool is large enough that you don't want to drain it and refill when something goes wrong, then a fancier kit, like the TF-100 or K-2006, is a much better choice.

I understand and agree completely with what u all said. I have had no luck finding the six way drop kit at Walmart in my town. I don't mind spending that much for a kit. Just seemed a little over whelming when I read instructions. Have to add one drop of this then a drop of this. Just seeing if therd were any other options then those.

pitmanr2003 said:
I understand and agree completely with what u all said. I have had no luck finding the six way drop kit at Walmart in my town. I don't mind spending that much for a kit. Just seemed a little over whelming when I read instructions. Have to add one drop of this then a drop of this. Just seeing if therd were any other options then those.

Just do it. It is easy. Everything is in squeeze bottles and comes out one drop at a time anyhow. The kit has easy to follow instructions. If you have any questions, most of us posting here are familiar with the tests and the results and what to do about it.

I think the best part is when I get mailings from the pool stores.... I have NO IDEA what all this stuff is that they are selling! Really, I've never had to use any of that junk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.