chicken or egg

May 1, 2008
Every year I wonder the same thing as I open the green monster. This site does a wonderful job of explaining how to adjust each of the individual critical measures. But I wonder is there a proper step by step procedure showing what chemical measures to adjust first, second etc.

Before turning on the pump my initial measures are:Fac 0, PH 8.2, TA 50,Cal Hardness 60, CYA 0,

PH first, then FC and CYA...Add cya to a certain level and assume you are at that level, even though the test will not show CYA for a week or so. Keep us posted...I'm a little worried to see your cya at 0, unless you did not have any last season? Could have converted to ammonia and may require a lot of chlorine...do you happen to have a CC reading?

JFPerrone said:
Every year I wonder the same thing as I open the green monster. This site does a wonderful job of explaining how to adjust each of the individual critical measures. But I wonder is there a proper step by step procedure showing what chemical measures to adjust first, second etc.

Before turning on the pump my initial measures are:Fac 0, PH 8.2, TA 50,Cal Hardness 60, CYA 0,
The step by step procedures depends on your opening numbers.

As dman said, your pH is first on the list to adjust. Your TA is fine for now.

Then add CYA and chlorine, and they can be added together.

Your CH is low, but you can increase that when you get all the other numbers where they need to be.

Now, why are you opening to a green monster? :p

dmanb2b said:
PH first, then FC and CYA...Add cya to a certain level and assume you are at that level, even though the test will not show CYA for a week or so. Keep us posted...I'm a little worried to see your cya at 0, unless you did not have any last season? Could have converted to ammonia and may require a lot of chlorine...do you happen to have a CC reading?
Initially the water was tested at Leslie's and they said CYA was zero. Since then I have added 4 gallons of 12% liquid clorine and 2 pounds of chlorine powder. Just starting to see a hint of bottom.

Butterfly said:
JFPerrone said:

The step by step procedures depends on your opening numbers.

As dman said, your pH is first on the list to adjust. Your TA is fine for now.

Then add CYA and chlorine, and they can be added together.

Your CH is low, but you can increase that when you get all the other numbers where they need to be.

Now, why are you opening to a green monster? :p
It's green (dark) every year. In fall we lower the water and cover it with a huge tarp, which keeps the leaves off but its green anyway. I do shock it before covering. I would like to add to dmans response the PH reading is off the charts its so red it glows. Thanks to you all.

JFPerrone said:
dmanb2b said:
Initially the water was tested at Leslie's and they said CYA was zero. Since then I have added 4 gallons of 12% liquid clorine and 2 pounds of chlorine powder. Just starting to see a hint of bottom.
An hour ago the CC read 3, FC 2

In a 50K gal pool, you may be better off seeing if you have a Namco or Branch Brook store nearby...they have 12.5% 5 gal carboys on sale for $16.99...not the best deal out there for chlorine, but it will be a lot less carrying around. Also, given your CYA is so low, if you haven't already added CYA you could alternately use powered shock. Burning up CC of 3 will take quite a bit of CL. One gal of 12.5% in a 50k gal pool only adds 2.5ppm of chlorine.

BTW that is a large pool :shock: You'll be enjoying it sooner than you think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.