Cloudy/Algae?

Prepooler

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
Newnan, Georgia
I really think I have some type of algae.I brush the pool and it looks like a cloud,the filter looks a little green to me,and the water has turned cloudy,the is something on the bottom near the edge that gets there everyday in about the same spots.We did the overnite test but the levels didn't drop.our readings are:FC 3.5 I know this is a little low our target is 4.0
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 70
CYA 30
I need help getting where the water will be clear again.I test most everyday and maintain my levels pretty well,I clean the filter close to once a week, and brush every few days.Are my targets not high enough to prevent this from happening? Also how long should I keep it in shock if this is what I need to do?Can it take a long time when we shock it for it to be safe for the kids to swim again?

Enough algae to make the water cloudy would lower the FC level overnight.

FC at 3.5 is alright. With CYA at 30, you want to make sure that FC never goes below 2. As long as that is true, it sounds like you are doing fine on adding chlorine.

Could you post a picture of the water or describe more throughly what the water looks like (color, how deep can you see, etc)? Also, was there anything out of the ordinary that happened at the same time the cloudiness started? Did you add some chemical right before that, or was it there when you opened the pool or anything else you can remember about when the cloudiness started?

we did have a lot of people over this Sat.I haven't used any chemicals other then bleach and muratic acid.The kids say it feels a little slick on the bottom also.I can see the bottom its just kind of milky/cloudy just not crystal clear.We do have a good but of shade full sun maybe 5 hours if this matters.We opened about a month ago the water was clear but not really sparkling like last year until this week end.

If you recently had a pool party, there can be excess organic debris in the pool that is taking a while to oxidize. Try raising the FC level up to the high end of the normal range, 6 or 7 in your case, to help speed up the process of clearing the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.