Annoying Leaks

Dega500

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Hi everyone,

I thought I had every little annoying leak stopped until Friday evening when my Polaris 65 arrived. I installed the unit and started it up and after a few adjustments had it running pretty smoothly. When I walked around back to disconnect it for the evening I noticed my darn return fitting, between the pool wall and outside piece had a small steady stream of water running down the outside wall. It is slow and over the weekend I haven't noticed any significant loss of water from the pool but it is puddling up and making a muddy mess near my pump/ filter that I have to step in to access the fitting.

What the heck can I do to stop it. I've tried tightening it but I can't budge it. I think it's a larger than normal fitting with the finned nut on the inside. With water above the return level I don't know much I can do. Are there any tricks to getting these things leak free? The guy who installed the pool ahd a home made wrench that he used to tighten it and it stayed dry for over a week before it sprung a leak. I wished I had pictures but you guys probably know what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Mike

yup...I agree with Bama. You can try using a strap wrench but overtightening will risk breaking the plastic fitting. If you decide to replce the return fitting and need to drain...now would be a good time to vac to waste and backwash....and no just rubber and cork gaskets is std

oh...this is a new install? Have the installer come back and remedy the situation...if not the pool store should give you a new fitting. Mine leaked slightly as well when we did the install last year, but was minor enough that a little tightening stopped it....sorry to hear about such an annoyance with a new pool...I know the feeling.

Actually, it's only NEW to me. I bought it used last fall. It's about 5 years old and in really good shape. I bought a new liner also.
I did hire someone to install it for me to try and have it ready by Memorial Day weekend. If I recall correctly they used two rubber gaskets on the fitting.

I looked at trying to tighten it a little myself and I'm worried about the inside nut twisting the liner and damaging it if I did ever get it to turn. Should I try to just hold the inside nut and turn the outside part. The outside piece has a tube sticking straight up out of it with a threaded cap. I though it may be some kind of vent or something. I would have to turn it a complete turn to get that straight up again.

Thanks,

Mike

Old thread I know but I found out what most of my problem was.

They had two urethane rubber gaskets and one plastic gasket on the inside of the return fitting. No gasket on the outside of the pool between the housing and pool side. They did at least have one of the urethane gaskets between the liner and pool side.

I've also replaced all the flex hose with PVC but can't find the thick black rubber couplings (1 1/4" to 1 1/2") to attach to the return and skimmer water fall fittings. Does anyone know off hand what they're called and where I might order them.

Thanks,

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.