Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Annoying Leaks

1. Back To Top    #1

Annoying Leaks

Hi everyone,

I thought I had every little annoying leak stopped until Friday evening when my Polaris 65 arrived. I installed the unit and started it up and after a few adjustments had it running pretty smoothly. When I walked around back to disconnect it for the evening I noticed my darn return fitting, between the pool wall and outside piece had a small steady stream of water running down the outside wall. It is slow and over the weekend I haven't noticed any significant loss of water from the pool but it is puddling up and making a muddy mess near my pump/ filter that I have to step in to access the fitting.

What the heck can I do to stop it. I've tried tightening it but I can't budge it. I think it's a larger than normal fitting with the finned nut on the inside. With water above the return level I don't know much I can do. Are there any tricks to getting these things leak free? The guy who installed the pool ahd a home made wrench that he used to tighten it and it stayed dry for over a week before it sprung a leak. I wished I had pictures but you guys probably know what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Mike
    27' Diameter Above Gound Pool, approximately 15,000 Gallons (erected 5/12/2010)
    26” Blue Ball Baquapure Sand Filter (new sand as of 5/12/2010)
    Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Model# 340204
    Simpl Chlor Cholrine Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Annoying Leaks

The only way to properly fix it is to remove it and reseal it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

"Re-seal it"

Should they have used some kind of sealant on it?

I think they just put it together with two gaskets.

4. Back To Top    #4

yup...I agree with Bama. You can try using a strap wrench but overtightening will risk breaking the plastic fitting. If you decide to replce the return fitting and need to drain...now would be a good time to vac to waste and backwash....and no just rubber and cork gaskets is std
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

oh...this is a new install? Have the installer come back and remedy the situation...if not the pool store should give you a new fitting. Mine leaked slightly as well when we did the install last year, but was minor enough that a little tightening stopped it....sorry to hear about such an annoyance with a new pool...I know the feeling.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually, it's only NEW to me. I bought it used last fall. It's about 5 years old and in really good shape. I bought a new liner also.
    I did hire someone to install it for me to try and have it ready by Memorial Day weekend. If I recall correctly they used two rubber gaskets on the fitting.

I looked at trying to tighten it a little myself and I'm worried about the inside nut twisting the liner and damaging it if I did ever get it to turn. Should I try to just hold the inside nut and turn the outside part. The outside piece has a tube sticking straight up out of it with a threaded cap. I though it may be some kind of vent or something. I would have to turn it a complete turn to get that straight up again.

Thanks,

Mike

7. Back To Top    #7

hmm...any chance you can post a pic of it? May give us a better idea...but it definately sounds like something that can be dealt with

8. Back To Top    #8

Old thread I know but I found out what most of my problem was.

They had two urethane rubber gaskets and one plastic gasket on the inside of the return fitting. No gasket on the outside of the pool between the housing and pool side. They did at least have one of the urethane gaskets between the liner and pool side.

I've also replaced all the flex hose with PVC but can't find the thick black rubber couplings (1 1/4" to 1 1/2") to attach to the return and skimmer water fall fittings. Does anyone know off hand what they're called and where I might order them.

Thanks,

Mike

9. Back To Top    #9

Most likely Fernco's. Lowes and HD will have them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Fernco's! That's it. Lowes did not have them. I got some grey colored ones that say they are for drains only. They leak a little and are not nearly as heavy looking as the black ones I've seen on here.