ground leveling noob having brain fart HELP

Jul 9, 2009
Iowa
Ok startrd to check and see if my hard paid off. Trying to level out my site. Pounded a stake in the middle ran a screaw in it tied string. Got a deck rail wood spindle {1 1/2 x 1 1/2} tied other end of string to that and took a 5" x 8 ' board and screawed it to the bottom of wood spindle. This is where I am having the brain fart to find the low spot the lowest part of the surface the string will be at it's bottom point on the spindle correct? Plan on digging the middle out so is it ok just to worry about the bottom rail and post supports for the most level ground or does the whole thing need to be level?

Re: ground leveling nood haveing brain fart HELP

I'm not picturing how you're trying to level it but to answer your question. The whole area has to be level except where the bowl will be. A laser level is the best way to do it.

I leveled mine with a water level (clear tube filled with food colored water). I had to dig 18-24" on the high side. Once I was ready to set patio stones for the wall posts, I rented a laser level from HD. It was like $50/day. I got all the patio stones level within 1/4", but have some spots in the middle that are slightly higher or lower.

The vids I had seen, showed digging out the center point to be the lowest and then using the stake and board to level from that point all away around the circle.

OK pound a stake in the ground (centered) put a screaw in middle and tie some string to it. Take another stake put a little foot (5"x8") on the bottom. Place it out at the edge where the bottom rail will go tie the other end of the string on there put a string level on there and thats what I am trying to use.

If you really want to do it right you should find someone with a transit or laser level you can borrow or just rent one. We really made mistakes trying to level without technology on our first 18' pool - the larger the pool the more important it is to be within 1/4" all the way - that can't be done reliably without tech hardware. You've put so much effort into wanting the right thing here - I'd hate to see all your hard work go down the tubes with a crumpled wall or worse.

Well going to call the local pool place. I don't know if they put pools in or not but might be able to give names of people to call for this kind of thing.

I bought a rotary laser at Lowes for $80. Used it for finishing the basement, it worked pretty well. The unit came in a case with a tripod and glasses to help see the laser.

well my ground so far is kind of wavy. Maybe over thinking it all. What kind of laser is it didn't want to buy one and have it not work right. Lot of people say to use a laser detector outside. What did you use out in the sun shine to see it?

I didn't have any problems seing the rental laser level I got from Home Depot out in the sun. Thye had red glasses with the set (laser, tripod, & stick) , but they were more hassle (broken) than help.

Well the local pool place does do pool installs and wants 300 to 375 to level the ground. And stated wanted 3-4 inches of masonary sand. And since I am digging it out the only liner that would work is a doughboy or lormart witch he sells go figure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Little update called a friend of the wifes who works for a construction outfit. All there stuff is out of town but gave me the name of a good friend that is a landscaper with smaller equiment. See what he wants for money. Also anyone delt with these guys they have the cheapest lomart liner shipped that I found 453 shipped to me?

http://www.poolsupplysolutions.com/bell ... /index.php?

I may be wrong here, but why would your pool have to have only a Doughboy or Lomart liner?
Is there something different about a Doughboy pool?
If not there are many other suppliers that sell expandable liners for much less.
Like here: http://www.poolsupplypros.com/liners-56 ... -3334.html
Or here: http://www.familypoolfun.com/expandable_liners
Or here: http://www.backyardcitypools.com/vinyl- ... -Round.htm
Or here: http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/product ... _id=L2020B
I cannot suggest any one of the above over another, but maybe if you search on here for each of them you might get some idea's. It seems that quite a few folks are replacing their liners this year.
Good luck!
Mike

The wife likes the sunset cove full print lomart liner. Don't think doughboy pools are different. Just the liners they say are better as far as dugout areas. What to do this right the first time and want a liner that will install easy and with few wrinkles as posiable.

sunsetcove_large.jpg

OK had the ground leveled now setting the 12x12 blocks. On some might be a little low could I use paver sand base to fill up a little under 1/2 inch or would it be better to get crushed limestone or maybe something else?

Do NOT build up any area with sand or even regular soil, but especially not sand. It will quickly degrade, wash out or shift. Crushed limestone would be better to use across the board evenly under the rail as a base - (not under the liner obviously)

Although both of those brands of liners are very good, there are most certainly MANY others that are just as good as those two (many liners are manufactured by the same company and "re-branded" for certain companies) - a good bet is to look for 20-25 gauge/mil and a good warranty. Once you have those two concerns covered - shoot for price and pick a design that pleases you - remember that the local pool store gets huge markup on pool liners so has an incentive to sell you what they have.

So under the vertical support block use nothing but cruched limestone. Do you know if it is sold in bags don't need a ton. All ready purchased the sunset cove from bella pools.

I don't really know off the top of my head since limestone is not a product that can be found in my area at all so we had to use "Class 5" and a plate compacter - maybe someone else has bought it from a home store and can clue you in? I do know that many here have used that "crusher run" in a ring under the rail base

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.