Polaris 9300

Kevin

May 18, 2010
I received the Polaris 9300 on Wednesday from an online retailer for $900. Supposedly I will get a $150 rebate bringing the net cost down to $750. Why? I opted to purchase a robot instead of spending money on a new motor, water valve, and head replacements for our in-floor cleaner. I am also looking to save money on operating costs of the robot vs. what I feel is the most inefficient (from an energy perspective) pool cleaner.

From box to pool takes about 30 minutes. The unit is fully assembled except for the cart which has 4 bolts and 2 screws. Really simple. Since we have always used the in-floor cleaner and I'm used to doing very little in the area of cleaning I will probably fabricate a small "garage" close to the pool for storage, quick deployment, and a GFI receptacle for the unit.

Although all the neighbors have a Polaris (pressure feed) of one kind or another and I've seen them plenty of times I've never had anything except our in-floor cleaner so that's my only basis for comparison. I used to chuckle when they took them out to swim and I didn't have to do anything.

Cleaning:

So far it has met and exceeded my expectations. The in-floor first lost a water valve rendering half the heads inoperable then the pump seals went out about a month ago so I've only vacuumed a few times here and there to keep the debris down. So while the water was fairly clean the floor had a good accumulation of particles, sand, twigs, etc. I set it on 2.5 hour run and it picked up 95% of the mess. From experience this would have taken a 24 - 36 hour run for the same level of clean with the in-floor cleaner. The next run on the robot got the remaining debris which the in-floor would not get until it operated daily for a week. It's really hard for the in-floor to get that last bit. It keeps pushing dirt around like a kid eating spinach.

Also it "scrubs" or brushes the pool while the in-floor can't.

Negatives:

We have a recessed bench and small step on the deep end that it got stuck on (twice) in a vertical position. Strange! I put a rock on the bench and it hasn't gotten stuck since. Since the bench surface is stone the rock doesn't stand out. We have a waterfall with stones that hang out over the pool. A couple of times it has hit these at speed and turned upside down floating on top of the water. It take 3-4 forward/backward sequences to recover.

You have to clean the robot debris container. Since it's summer much of the material was finer grained, stuff that would have ended up in our filter and not the strainer basket so I think there's some consolation in less material to be cleaned out of the filter. We have huge trees with lots of leaves so it will definitely get a workout in the Fall.

The in-floor cleaner is (was?) very good at distributing chlorine and heat. The robot can't.

Overall:
So far very happy. It does a great job of cleaning. However, this is still the honeymoon stage. The jury is still out on how often it breaks down and total repair costs. I think the drive unit is under $400 so if that lasts 2-3 years, great.

Kevin

Kevin said:
Negatives:

The in-floor cleaner is (was?) very good at distributing chlorine and heat. The robot can't.

Overall:
So far very happy. It does a great job of cleaning. However, this is still the honeymoon stage. The jury is still out on how often it breaks down and total repair costs. I think the drive unit is under $400 so if that lasts 2-3 years, great.

Kevin

I'm glad you are happy with it. I've used two robotics. The first one Verro 300, using only one pump to drive the wheels and vacuum just couldn't deal with the very steep incline to my shallow end when the bag became congested with our very fine chalk and clay powder that blows into the pool constantly. On bad days it could clog up the bag in an hour.

My current one, and old Aquabot, has enough power from a separate drive motor and separate water pump. The bag still clogs pretty fast but it doesn't affect the locomotion nearly as much as it did with the Verro.

I wanted to mention..... The 9300 is circulationing the water and chemicals when it is in use. In my case cleaners typically run many hours a day so the Aquabot, for instance, is circulating (and filtering) about 3K gallons and hour.

If leaves are enough of an issue, in the fall, you can use a Pool Skim, to help catch many of the leaves before they sink to the floor or make it to your skimmer(s) clogging them up. Last fall and winter I used two Pool Skims because of the amount of leaves we have blow in. I don't know about the 9300 but the Aquabots and many other 'bots can use a regular mesh bag that doesn't bog down as fast with smaller debris and allows the cleaner to pick up more leaves. You won't get the fine filtration though.

How many returns do you have in your pool? Perhaps you can mess with them some to achieve better circulation if you think that is an issue.

Thank you for your review. I look forward to updates.

gg=alice

Alice -

Oops you are right. The robot is circulating water :)

As far as leaves we are in the Woodlands, TX and have quite a few pine needles and a large Bradford Pear tree that drop quite a load as well as Oaks that drop blossoms in the Spring. I will try the Pool Skims this Fall.

To me the 9300 looks like it has a small catch basin.

Thanks to everyone for the incredible help available on this site. I've had a pool for quite a long time but have been completely ignorant about what I was doing (now I am 98% ignorant and learning).

We have two returns and everything is individually plumbed. Texas Pools built it and did an excellent job. I don't know if they are still around.

Kevin

Kevin said:
Alice -

Oops you are right. The robot is circulating water :)

As far as leaves we are in the Woodlands, TX and have quite a few pine needles and a large Bradford Pear tree that drop quite a load as well as Oaks that drop blossoms in the Spring. I will try the Pool Skims this Fall.

To me the 9300 looks like it has a small catch basin.

Thanks to everyone for the incredible help available on this site. I've had a pool for quite a long time but have been completely ignorant about what I was doing (now I am 98% ignorant and learning).

We have two returns and everything is individually plumbed. Texas Pools built it and did an excellent job. I don't know if they are still around.

Kevin

Please keep us posted as you gain more experience with the 9300.

Do your Bradfords drop little "fake pears". My Aristocrats did. We just cut down a huge one right by the pool that dropped the "fake pears" into the pool three months each summer, sometimes hundreds in a day. The squirrels loved them and seemed to aim at me when I was sitting under the tree. The "fake pears" would instantly drop to the bottom and within minutes stain the pool.

But that wasn't the worst. Jake Mastiff, now 17 mo.s, took a liking to them last summer and almost died from cyanide poisoning. I didn't realize they were bad for him until he became very ill. By that time it was too late to treat other than supportive. He was one sick puppy for over a month.

I had another Aristocrat that is younger, that just started totally shading my large dining room window, a couple of years ago; due west sun. It just started forming the "fake pears", for the first time, this spring. Another one in front fenced yard, same age, so those two had to come down too. Now I have to close the blinds in the afternoon but I'm hoping to get the cantilever umbrella put up this weekend. I hate closing the blinds as I like to work in the dining room and watch the birds out one window (has blinds but not needed) and the dogs and pool, and other critters out the window that needs the shade.

gg=alice

Kevin,
I too am in The Woodlands, and our Legend Platinum truck has started slowing down, and not cleaning well...and to repair it is about the same as buying a new cleaner (comparable cleaner, such as the 280 or 380 Polaris) but we are looking "bigger and better" and are considering the 3900 Sport or the 9300 robot. I used to leave my truck in the pool all the time, and it is on the timer to clean 2 hours a day. It keeps (kept) the pool 99% clean. You know how our fall season is here in The Woodlands, so how is the 9300 doing with heavy leaves and sweet gum balls?

ALso, the only reason we would consider the 9300 is because it might be cheaper to operate than using our booster pump. Have you noticed a drop in your electric bill?

Any other words of wisdom?

Kevin said:
Overall:

Kevin

How about an update? You still liking your Polaris 9300?

I also have used the Polaris 9300 since last August. It does a great job of cleaning. When the pool looks sparkling clean, the Polaris stills picks up small debris from the bottom. I am very happy with this robot. Plus it looks very cool, not that it really matters.

Polaris 9300 xi review

Just purchased a Polaris 9300xi robotic pool vacuum. This model is like the 9300 but has a remote control, stiffer scrubbers and cost approx $150 more. Lots of price range on the internet

Overall, it cleans well in auto. After a 2hr run my 700ft2 pool (30,000gal) was clean of the debris (small and large)that had gathered on the pool floor after a wind storm. I tried the remote control but gave up and allowed the Polaris to operate with it's auto program. If I had to buy it all over again, save your money on the remote-it is erratic steering at best and slow when it works. It seems the slope on my pool was interfering with the steering.

Vacuum power was equal to my Polaris 360 and the vacuum did not get stuck on my pool steps (concrete shaped steps) in either the shallow or deep end (deep end was a cutout type step). It's auto program worked well and covered the entire pool floor well. The vacuum also was good at scrubbing the walls and the tile line. The vacuum also picked lots of fine dust that my Polaris 360 would not touch

In summary, I think the 9300 version is a better buy than the 9300xi since the remote control is worthless. My vote is still out whether I would buy a 9300 again-need some run time. After 2 hrs, I am asking myself why not stick with the Polaris 360? Comparing my Polaris 360 with the 9300-the 9300 covers the pool better without any steering (360 required me to steer it periodically for good pool floor coverage), scrubs the walls and tile line (360 does not), and picks up everything including silt that my 360 would not. But, the 9300 is 2x the cost

Hello, am new to this board. Have been looking at the Polaris 9300 and have 2 questions for those who have it.

1. Is anyone using it with a Vinyl Liner? Manual states it can leave marks on some liners. Curious about anyone's experience with this as my pool uses a Vinyl liner. Any way to know if it would leave marks or not?

2. I tend to get a bit of pine needles in my pool. Again, anyone experience with that and know how affective the unit would be with it?

I am hearing good reviews of this unit and was thinking of springing for one but want to ensure it would be effective in my pool without leaving marks.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, talked to Polaris. Basically , it was a "use at your own risk" response for the 9300 in a vinyl lined pool.

I'm exchanging it for a Blue Diamond. Today is the last day for a mfg. $75 rebate.

I'm surprised to hear the comment by Polaris about use with vinyl liners because I just put one in over an old concrete pool and the installer (who's specialized in vinyl liner renovations for 15+ years) highly recommended them and said he uses one for his own vinyl pool. I can't imagine what the 9300 does to vinyl liners that other scrubbing robots wouldn't do but would love to know if anyone has experienced problems with a vinyl pool. An alternative I'm considering is the EcoJet Plus or EcoJet Pro. That seems to be a new model and I can't tell whether the "rave reviews" are genuine. I currently have a Polaris 360 and the only way I can get it to work is to turn off 3 of 4 returns to increase the pressure.; Even still, its cleaning of the vinyl surface is disappointing compared to the job it did on a concrete surface.

Keep us posted! I got quite a few friends in the business and they all say the same thing, best cleaner polaris put out but the drive system when it fails is VERY expensive! And for for the amount of time it's been out there has been triple the amount of failures as the 280 & 380! I believe they went from belt to chain on the 9300?

Is the 9300 something that can left un-attended for a few days or does it need daily attention?

today if the the jandy ray vac gets full, it simply becomes too heavy to do more cleaning and does a lazy circle on the bottom.

What happens to the 9300 if it get's full?

I'm concerned that if we leave for a couple of days, the 9300 will get full, get stuck and burn up.

comments?

btw, I'm considering a robot because I want to swap out to a variable speed main pump and with the low speed/pressure the ray-vac won't have power to run.

tnx

The 9300 requires that a button be pressed to activate the cleaning cycle. It therefore cannot be left unattended. I understand that the new 9300Xi has revised controls that permit such unattended operation from a timer or automation system. I also have a pressure side Poolcleaner for when we go away but will most likely ditch this a buy a new 9300xi or upgrade my 9300 with the the 9300xi control panel.

I usually leave my 9300 in the pool and daily press a button to start the cycle. I tend to collect a lot of fine dust and and have found that after a week or two the robot slows down when full. I have also found the power cord tends to tangle if left in the pool for too many cycles and typically remove the cleaner and untangle the power cord on a weekly basis.

I bought the 9300 last year , I thought it did great job, just as well as any of the more expensive cleaners I had owned in the past. I previously owned an Aquabot Viva and missed having a remote for spot cleaning , so I sold my 9300 to my neighbor and bought a 9300xi . The remote is not so great on the polaris , I guess for spot cleaning it serves the purpose .The control panel does let you set it up for use with an external electric timer and is also programmable to add more cleaning time to the cycle. You can not upgrade the control panel for your 9300 to make it a 9300xi, , you need to buy a new control panel and the remote , it will cost as much as buying a new complete one . As far as leaving it in the pool, I don't think it will burn up as when it gets heavy it slows down as well, but all pool cleaner manufacturers always say in their manuals to remove from the pool, and not to leaveit in the pool for extended periods of time , especially in salt water pools .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.