How much evaporation is normal?

serge

Nov 2, 2009
Katy, TX
Hello again...I am in the Houston area, where the summers don't wait for the June date. I have noticed an increase in salt ppm's and started to monitor the water level. 10 days ago, we had a good rain shower that filled the pool to the rim...today, (10 days later) i see a gap of about 1 inch. Is this reasonable evaporation or should I go to phase II (bucket test)?

your comments are much appreciated !

I am in Spring, TX and I noticed a lot of water missing due to evaporation. I did the bucket test and it showed nothing overnight. It makes me feel better as I have a Koi pond that is totally shaded and it is losing water at a slower rate, but is losing water.

The bucket test for evaporation is something you should check over a 24 hour period on a typical day with sun (if that's normal). The evaporation rate can vary somewhat from day to night so you really need a 24-hour period for a reasonable test. This isn't like the chlorine demand test where you don't want sunlight to interfere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.