Chlorine after Absorbic Acid Treatment question

May 24, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi...

I have sucessfully done my absorbic acid treatment for stain removal. Since then we have had several inches of rain that have clouded the water to an extreme. I am past my 48 hr waiting period for adding bleach, the alk and ph are doing pretty good and I have not <yet> had to make any adjustment (ph was 7.6 prior to treatment...now holding around 7.2). I added a gallon of bleach to the pool eariler today to assist with chlorine. After several hours still measures close to zero (with some additional rain). I would like some idea of how often I can add bleach (in small amounts)? I know the acid is going to eat it up for sometime, I just want to get back to clear water and then manage with small amounts of cholrine for a few weeks till higher dosing (shock). Can I add a gallon or so every 4-6 hours or 3 times a day?

Its a 30,000 gal vinyl pool with a CYA of 35 (ergo the 1 gal of bleach...I didn't want to go to quickly).

Any guidance would be helpful.. Thanks

I would not add more than enough to raise your FC by 2 ppm per day. That would be about 1 gallon and 1 pint a day. To use more increases the risk of the staining coming back. Your chlorine will not hold for the first several days to week so it might be a good idea to put some polyquat 60 in the water to help discourage the algae!

I've put in an algecide and then, after treatment, some sequestrent agent to hold off any binding. I'm just having trouble (well, maybe it's not trouble) with cloudy water (and the rain). I know I should be paitent, thats why I am inquiring about how much/often I can add those small amounts of bleach to assist with clearing up the water.

Thanks for the reply! And any others too~

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.