Fat Goose egg on Chlorine

JasonK

May 13, 2009
Topeka, KS
I just had my water tested. They suggested to shock the pool. Since I beat around the bush on the BBB method. Can't I just put more bleach in, instead of buying shock?? My pool is 18x36 with a deep end. To open over three days I put 6 gallons of bleach in it. Yesterday I didn't do much other than run the pump. The water is teal, and cloudy after 1' deep. Thanks for all you help. Jason.

Start by lowering your PH to 7.0. You should do this in a couple of partial steps so you don't overshoot and get the PH too low. Your TA is rather high, so you will need to keep an eye on the PH and lower it back down to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8.

Once the PH is under control, add some bleach to bring the FC level up to about 20.

Your CYA and hardness are good.

2 quarts is going to be 64 ounces and that will lower approx .96 on the pH (based off of the pool calculator at http://thepoolcalculator.com/ ), so down to around 7.9 or so. If your pH level is that high you will defintely not overshoot. So I would get a gallon of acid and add half of it and that would be the 2 quarts. Then get the water tested if possible about an hr after that. Then depending on what your result is then you will more than likely have to add more acid. So I would maybe go ahead and get 2 gallons as I am sure you will need more and this will cause less trips to the store. My pool store sells it in 4 gallon box for around 20.00, which is a little less than 4 at home depot or lowes.

How did you get your test results? I assume at your local pool store?

Yes at a local pool store that I actually trust... :shock:
I grabbed a gallon of acid, so I should get that down tonight or by the morning? Should I go ahead and get it tested in the morning again?
Also should I totally hold off on adding chlorine until I have the Ph down? I will need to be told by someone not to shock it tonight... LOL

Sorry this is the 3rd time opening the pool.

cortlinsdaddy said:
Yes at a local pool store that I actually trust... :shock:
I grabbed a gallon of acid, so I should get that down tonight or by the morning? Should I go ahead and get it tested in the morning again?
Also should I totally hold off on adding chlorine until I have the Ph down? I will need to be told by someone not to shock it tonight... LOL

Sorry this is the 3rd time opening the pool.

I can not answer about the chlorine, but from reading here I would say go ahead and add some chlorine, but with your pH level so high the chlorine may be ineffective. If the pH level is around 8.8 or so the gallon of acid will drop it 1.9 or around there and put you below 7. So I would do half and then get it tested again as soon as you can and then you can go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cortlinsdaddy said:
Also should I totally hold off on adding chlorine until I have the Ph down?
As mynewpool mentioned, some is fine. Stay under 10 FC.

I will need to be told by someone not to shock it tonight... LOL
Do not shock until you have your pH around 7. See Jason's comment:

JasonLion said:
Start by lowering your PH to 7.0. You should do this in a couple of partial steps so you don't overshoot and get the PH too low. Your TA is rather high, so you will need to keep an eye on the PH and lower it back down to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8.

Once the PH is under control, add some bleach to bring the FC level up to about20.

Do you have a test kit? If not, you need one! Please read pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Okay:
CYA 100
TOTAL CHL 10
FREE CHL 10
PH >8.8
ADJ TOT ALK 180
TOT HARDNESS 79

I can see the shallow end of the pool now. Still cloudy but in the 4 hours since I seen it, it's much much better. Over the lunch hour I ran the pump on waste to clean out the filter. I did end up putting a gallon of Mur. acid on the other day, and put maybe a quart in this morning.

These number look okay?

On the 24th your CYA level was listed as 50, now it is listed as 100. If those numbers are correct there is one problem, and if they are wrong there is a different problem.

Your PH as been listed as 8.8 each time, which is way way way too high. You need to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. However, most PH tests won't measure as high as 8.8, so I am not sure where you are getting that number. I would have expected a gallon of muriatic acid to have lowered the PH enough that it would no longer be 8.8. If FC is actually above 20 the PH test results could well be wildly off and should be ignored.

I am also concerned that your FC and TC levels might be well above 10. One of the common FC/TC tests won't measure FC/TC levels above 10, so that could be a testing problem.

Nothing makes a larger difference than having reliable test results. What you need to do next depends a great deal on how reliable these results are. It seems likely that they are wrong, but it is possible for them to be correct. Could you tell us more about how you are testing?

I have been taking my samples into a pool store that I do trust. (why I have no idea) When I take my sample I hold the bottle upside down and flip it over elbow deep in the deep end, So I'm not just taking the water off the top.

After I vacuumed the pool floor, my wife dumped in a box of borax and a thing of baking soda. I thought that she should wait until I got the water tested. But what is done is done. I have put in a gallon of acid, and did buy another gallon today. I'm wondering if their tester does not go above 8.8 and mine is much higher than 8.8.

I do have a cheapo tester, and plan to buy the one that is recommended on this site.

Thoughts? Dump in another 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid in and retest? Possibly go to (eeekkk) another store to test? I promise I will buy the good home test kit!

What kind of kit do you have? The pH tests are all based on the same indicator dye, so what you have should work for getting pH at least in range.

I think you should: test with your whatever kit you have (probably goes to 8 or maybe 8.2), and add enough acid to get to 7.4 assuming that your result actually is whatever the highest possible reading is. So, even if you think your pH is 8.8, add enough to get from 8 to 7.4. Then, wait a half hour or so for it to circulate and retest. Repeat as many times as necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.