Replacing IG vinyl liner: When to drain pool?

May 24, 2010
Lexington, KY
We are replacing the vinyl liner for our in-ground pool. The compnay we are working with suggested drainging the pool so they could get more accurate measurements. The new liner has not been ordered. If we drain the pool now it could remain empty for 3 weeks, provided there are no unexpected delays.

Any thoughts? Is it okay to drain this early in the process?

We are not experienced pool folks yet and have already been given bad advice from one pool company we worked with.

Thanks!
Trish

If they don't know how to do an in-water measure, get another liner installer. The procedure is the same with and without water. Is it easier without? Yes, And it doesn't take 3 weeks to get a liner from any of three makers I use. Including shipping, a week, max after all questions are answered.

Draining early , if the bottom is in good shape can add risks such as hydrostatic pressure and water capture based erosion of the bottom. If the bottom needs significant repairs, draining, repairing and then measuring are the way to go and only then, when I do it.

Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott!

I forgot to mention that the reason they suggested draining the pool is because we are having a hard time getting the water clear. We closed the pool very green last year (family illness) so it was pretty yucky when we took the cover off. The water level is too low to run the pump and adding chlorine turns the water a lovely shade of aqua milk.

The company did measure while it was aqua, but want to double check some measurements if they can get a better view. The pool is rather old, maybe from the 70's, and is a not quite standard 17.5 x 34 oval. The shallow end is 3 feet; the deep is 8. I think it is that slope from shallow to deep that they want to make sure is accurately measured.

Three weeks seems to be the standard installation period quoted around here (I've talked to all the companies). If these folks can order the liner today or tomorrow they hope to have it in early next week (5 working days) and perhaps installed the week after that, depending on their schedules. That is the quickest I've found. This company is local and family-owned with an A+ BBB rating. Thay also have a fencing company we have used successfully for several projects.

I'm going to continue adding chlorine but not drain. The weather is not helping -- hot and sunny alternating with violent thunderstorms and floods. Arg!

The important points there are where the shallow to deep break are and perimeter of the hopper. I attach a fence post level to a pool pole with heights marked on it. I also attach a second pole to the top so I can hold it out further from the edge. I drop the pole in the water and find the corners. Holding it level, measure the distance from a couple of known positions taken from the AB measure of the perimeter and the maker now knows where these points lie and how deep. Whether I see it or not is usually that important. I can usually feel if there is unseen damage in a murky pool that would require a complete emptying and liner removal before measuring.

Scott

We just had our liner replaced (along with installation of new light, two new skimmers, some rerouting of electrical, etc.) and it was drained for 3-4 weeks between the time they started work and when they installed the new liner - we were also having ~1000 sq. ft. of new paver patio/deck installed and they wanted all that work finished before they put the new liner in and refilled the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.