Anti entrapment covers

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
On my pool I have the main drain that is covered but does not have a Anti entrapment covers. I know the pool gets suction as I feel it in the skimmer where the basket is. When I go down and feel around the drain cover there is no suction at all. I know you are supposed to install Anti entrapment suction covers to prevent people from being pull down as it usually pulls in from the side and not the top. So is there a reason I have no suction by the drain cover?

Thanks.

Do you know if your main drain is connected through a skimmer? It be that there just isn't a lot of flow going through the MD. Also, do you have dual main drains? What size/model is your pump?

mas985 said:
Do you know if your main drain is connected through a skimmer? It be that there just isn't a lot of flow going through the MD. Also, do you have dual main drains? What size/model is your pump?

Do you know if your main drain is connected through a skimmer? I am not sure on this one.

Also, do you have dual main drains? No

What size/model is your pump? Picture Below. I am going to update my signature now

file.php

Look into the skimmer closest to the MD. See if both ports are open and look like they connect to a pipe. Also, does the skimmer have a float/diverter? It looks like this:

SQDIV_th.jpg

mas985 said:
Look into the skimmer closest to the MD. See if both ports are open and look like they connect to a pipe. Also, does the skimmer have a float/diverter? It looks like this:

SQDIV_th.jpg

There is only one skimmer/return and nothing like that picture. There are two openings in the bottom of the skimmer. One has suction that goes to the pump, filter, etc. The other one does not seem to have any type of suction or anything. The guy that came out to show me how to use my equipment said that other hole is for repair purposes. Not sure how much I believe this though.

Thanks.

The other port in the skimmer probably goes to the main drain. This is a common way to plumb a main drain through the skimmer. However, without the float/diverter, there will be very little suction on the main drain port so almost no flow rate. If you want the main drain to work properly, you will need a float/diverter or a skimmer plate.

Flow from the main drain is probably less important than the skimmer and only helps keep the water near the bottom fully mixed. A well aimed return can do the same.

mas985 said:
The other port in the skimmer probably goes to the main drain. This is a common way to plumb a main drain through the skimmer. However, without the float/diverter, there will be very little suction on the main drain port so almost no flow rate. If you want the main drain to work properly, you will need a float/diverter or a skimmer plate.

Flow from the main drain is probably less important than the skimmer and only helps keep the water near the bottom fully mixed. A well aimed return can do the same.

Where does that floater/diverter go and where can you get them? Also from the picture it looks big, but is it smaller than that?

Thanks.

The float diverter fits in the skimmer below the skimmer basket. See picture below:

works1.gif

You first need to find out what model of skimmer you have so you can find the correct parts.

mas985 said:
The float diverter fits in the skimmer below the skimmer basket. See picture below:

You first need to find out what model of skimmer you have so you can find the correct parts.

So what exactly does it do? I am guessing it diverts the water or something? I assume I can out the skimmer model by looking under the skimmer lid?

Normally, there is a model # somewhere on the skimmer but you can also identify it by sight as well. Waterway skimmers will say waterway on the lid. I think Hayward does that as well. Once you know who made it, you can then look at their catalog and see if you can identify it.

The float/diverter has two purposes. The float part will seal the skimmer off if the the water level drops too low so air doesn't get into the pump line. Unfortunately, this is not perfect and air gets in the lines anyway just not as much.

The second purpose is to control the amount of the flow through the skimmer basket. The hole on the bottom of the float has a diverter flap which allows you adjust the flow through the skimmer. When this is done the suction underneath the float will increase thereby increasing the flow via the main drain path. Most of the time you don't even need the flap just the float with a smaller hole is enough to restrict the flow such that water will start to flow through the MD. A skimmer vacuum plate would serve the same purpose.

If you post a photo of the skimmer maybe someone can identify it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.