Just opened pool

May 24, 2010
Hello, I just opened my pool and I am thinking of using the BBB system. The pool is still filing and I am deciding what to do. Is the system easy to do? What can I do now until I get a test kit? What should I add right now till I figure this out? Thanks

Welcome Reefdiver :wave:

We can certainly help you out, but would prefer if you can get us some pool details (size, type, equipment, etc) BBB is an easy system to follow and economical, but you will need a good testkit. The whole premise of the system is understanding what is going on with your water chemistry. I strongly suggest the Tf100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor k2006. Also please read through pool school (button on upper right of this page) and familiarize yourself with http://www.poolcalculator.com

Your main goal for now is to get the pool filled and get the pump running. In the mean time get us some details and we can point you in the right direction. For now you will want to get some liquid chlorine or just plain 6% bleach (same thing) and some stabilizer...you may need muratic acid and borax later to adjust PH, but you can wait on that until you are able to test your fill water. For now you can add some bleach to the pool as soon as the pump starts running, but it is no rush if you can get the pool filled in the next day or two. Tftestkits.net sends the kits out pretty quick if you order before 2pm est.

Welcome.

dmanb2b said:
Welcome Reefdiver :wave:

We can certainly help you out, but would prefer if you can get us some pool details (size, type, equipment, etc) BBB is an easy system to follow and economical, but you will need a good testkit. The whole premise of the system is understanding what is going on with your water chemistry. I strongly suggest the Tf100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor k2006. Also please read through pool school (button on upper right of this page) and familiarize yourself with http://www.poolcalculator.com

Your main goal for now is to get the pool filled and get the pump running. In the mean time get us some details and we can point you in the right direction. For now you will want to get some liquid chlorine or just plain 6% bleach (same thing) and some stabilizer...you may need muratic acid and borax later to adjust PH, but you can wait on that until you are able to test your fill water. For now you can add some bleach to the pool as soon as the pump starts running, but it is no rush if you can get the pool filled in the next day or two. Tftestkits.net sends the kits out pretty quick if you order before 2pm est.

Welcome.
Great. I kind of skimmed over the pool school and I really do not understand the calculator, so I will need some help. I am a fast learner. I am going to order the TF kit, it should be the best right? Thanks for the help. How much liquid bleach should I add? What type of bleach should I use (Brand)? What do you use? I am planning of using what ever you can buy in Wal Mart or the supermarket LOL.. I have a round Lomart 24' 52" 10,000 gal, running a lomart 1hp pump and spectrum 3 sand filter. Now I assume it is 10,000 gallons, but it may be more or less, I have never really figured it out?

OK cool...we have the same size pool :goodjob: It's approx 13,500 gals. We love wally world for pool supplies. Your best bang per buck is Great Value unscented bleach. 6% Sodium Hypochlorite and at $2.54 for 1.42 gals, it is hard to beat. I use an intex SWG for daily chlorination, but you can do that later if you wish...for now I would try to master BBB using bleach. You can keep the chlorinator, and just leave it empty...it will come in handy when you need to leave the pool unattended.

The poolcalculator app (yes it is available in Itunes for a ipod touch or iphone :goodjob: ) is pretty simple and works on the premise of stating your starting levels and putting in target numbers (example start 0FC, target 6) and it will tell you how much to add.

Starting off, you can target CYA (Stabilizer/conditioner..>Wally's carries the HTH brand in the pool supply section) at 30-40 ppm and shoot for an FC of 4ppm. You'll need to add 4.5lbs of CYA to obtain 40ppm CYA. Cya keeps your FC from burning off to quickly.

To add CYA you'll want to put about 2lbs in an old sock and hang it in front of your return with the pump running...keep repeating until it disolves. It takes up to a week for CYA to register on the CYA test, but after you are done adding you can assume you have 40 ppm and just test to confirm in a week or so.

Hands down the Tf100 or Tf100XL is the best bang for your buck and it is the kit most of us use here :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.