Free Chlorine: 6.6
Total Chlorine: 7.3
pH 7.4
hardness: 160
Alk: 180
acid: 10
copper: .23
iron: 0

I tested with my DPD kit this morning and I got a reading of 16, which is what the reading was at midnight last night - I have no idea how our number could be so far apart. ??

I have been keeping the chlorine level high for a week now with no improvement and would appreciate any help to get this water clear. I thought maybe my CYA level was high and I wasn't putting in enough chlorine, but the pool store test says CYA is only 10, so there should be plenty of chlorine in there according to the chart. ???help....?

pH is a little high because I have been aerating for a day to lower the alkalinity.

Your CYA needs to come up to at least 40, ten is too low.
My biggest suggestion is to get a good test kit like the TF-100 as it will help you control your water so much better. It has been invaluable to me. It gets very frustrating when you bring water to the store and it is so different.
Based on pool store numbers you may need to shock but based on your numbers you don't so it is hard to give solid advice based on such a range of numbers. But I can say def. bring your cya up.
If your interested in the right kit, I would suggest checking out the one in my sig. It really has been a money saver for me.

I have a good kit, but am out of CYA reagent, so took it to the store for that test only but they did everything.

anonapersona - do you mean less backwashing?? I have been running the filter non-stop for almost a week, but backwashing regularly. ? Thanks!

queenofmyswamp said:
anonapersona - do you mean less backwashing?? I have been running the filter non-stop for almost a week, but backwashing regularly. ? Thanks!

Running the filter non-stop was what I was hoping you were doing. I was wondering if it was lack of filtration that was the problem, sounds like you are doing the right thing. Maybe just POP is needed?

If your CYA is indeed only 10, then you are losing most of your chlorine to sun each day. As mentioned, aiming for about 40 is a good idea.

Also, conflicting test results (yours and the pool store?) is confusing.
Having a good test kit and trusting those results is what is needed.
The test kit will put you in control of your pool.

Doing an Overnight FC Loss Test (Pool School) will rule out (or in) organics and the need for shocking.

pH is a little high because I have been aerating for a day to lower the alkalinity.
Just to clarify for others reading , it appears you are aerating to raise your pH because you are using MA to lower your TA (based on "How to Lower your TA" article in Pool School).
MA lowers both pH and TA. Aeration raises pH, and leaves the TA alone. :wink:

I am losing what's left of my mind here....I have been holding the chlorine level at about 16 for days with the filter running 24/7. Vaccumed the pool a bunch. You still can't see the second step of the pool. I have been to 2 different pool stores who both said the water is "perfect" but even when the water is in the glass jar I take it to the store in, you can see it is cloudy. They did mention that "lady, you have enough chlorine in there for 5 pools!!"

I sent hubby with a water sample this morning with directions to not buy anything, but he came home with a bottle of clarifier and Sequa Sol. I tried the clarifier today and it didn't make one bit of difference. Store suggested I may be backwashing too often, which is possible as I do it several times a day. Any thoughts? I am pouring a lot of money we can't spare into this pool. I just ran out of the DPD test stuff tonight and reordered more, but the chlorine levels have seemed to be holding very well to this point.

HEEEEELP! Any suggestions for what might be clouding the pool so badly? Is Sequa Sol a waste of time and money or should I try it? We have well water that is very hard water and did almost a completely new refill of the pool this spring and have not had it clear yet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Sequa sol is a good metal sequesterant, one of the ones we recommend. :)
Backwashing too frequently can hinder the process - only backwash when the PSI rise indicates its necessary - as dirty filters can actually filter better... Have you tried the DE in the sand filter trick? Instructions are in Pool School if you are interested...

Thanks for the reply!

how do i determine if I really *need* a metal sequestrant? is that possibly causing the cloudiness?

I just had an idea...I went out and got a clear glass jar of pool water and swirled it around and could see tiny white particles in there. Would I be correct to assume this might mean I just need to keep filtering? Would flock possibly speed up the process? The kids are dying to swim and I want clear water so badly I will pay to get it faster if that might help!!

You could try a floc or clarifier if you like....:)
Hang on to the sequesterant - metals won't cause cloudiness, they cause staining or the water to change to a clear transparent green sometimes. If you have your water tested for iron or copper at the pool store and they detect some that would be a clue that sequesterant is needed....you also could see iron stains in the pool... you would see signs of metals issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
queenofmyswamp said:
clear glass jar of pool water and swirled it around and could see tiny white particles in there.

Get some panty hose/stockings and stretch it over your skimmer basket(s). Maybe even put two pairs over each other. Check it every couple of hours because if it gets a bunch of crud on it it will stop the water flow. Just scrap it off or put on clean hose. I buy box of generic ones at the dollar store.

This should help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.