Hayward DE filter problems

May 24, 2010
Southern NJ
I have an above ground pool (intex) 24' round with a hayward EC-50 and 1 horse pump. The unit worked fine the first year of operation. Last year and this years startup have been troublesome. I have constant high pressure after a short period of time. Last year I would have to "bump" everyday and completely changed out the DE once a week. After shocking pressure would rise fast. (expected). bumping would only work a little bit...I was constantly attending to the filter. I have done an acid wash, completely disassembled the unit and washed by hand and so forth. I want to stay with DE. I like the quality of the water. But I do not want to be constantly baby sitting this filter. Pressure after charging always is about 9 and I will go up to 18 or 20 within a couple hours. Even in a clear pool. I was thinking of going with a vertical grid filter, but I only see those available for inground pools. I need some help and suggestions.

Don't worry about the vertical grids being shown for inground only. They'll work fine on an above ground pool. The biggest thing you can do to help with maintenance is to buy the largest filter you can. That equates to longer times between backwashing.

As you can see from my sig, I don't have any personal experience with DE filters but it's my understanding that the vertical grids are a better choice. I'm sure one (or more) of the DE experts will be along soon to straighten me out! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.