refilling pool after new liner - what to adjust first?

Apr 12, 2009
We're getting a new vinyl liner put in our pool today, which of course means the pool will have to be refilled with water. What order should I adjust my parameters? I used the BBB method last year, my first as a pool owner, with no problems at all.

Chlorine and CYA. Stay on top of the chlorine in particular so you don't have a green mess.

Go ahead and test the water the pool will be filled with so you can anticipate what you might need as far as pH and TA adjustments.

I'd check the pH and adjust it too. And as John said, add chlorine, enough to get to 2ppm at least. Then add the stabilizer in front of a return as soon as you can run the pump.

I always recommend that you get an assay on the water you're putting in the pool. especially on new fills. The water authority wherever your water is coming from is required to have one. Call them and ask where to get it. The biggest reason is for metals, but it also gives tons of other info. That way you don't have to wonder if the pool stores testing is correct. If you're using well water you will need to have it tested for metals.

The pool was already full when I bought the house. Used the TF-100 to test it and keep it sparkling clear all summer. The old owner used the shock it every week or 2 and use pucks the rest of the time method. The pH was pretty low when I first started testing - a bit below 7 if I recall correctly. I'm sure this is part of why I've had to replace the liner in my 2nd season in this house.

Before I bought the house I sent a well water sample off for analysis at a agriculture testing place - there was no detectable iron, I didn't check for other metals though. I figure it'll take me 2-3 days to fill the pool up from the well (I'm planning on turning the water off for several hours every so often as to not run the well dry). Once the water gets up high enough that I can reach it for a sample I'll start testing it and start adding chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.