Clear Water, high CC

Nah, a couple more points won't hurt for the short term.

The best time to check the CYA test is during the day, with your back to the sun so that your body shields the view tube. Doing it in the evening or indoor lighting may not yield accurate results.

For what it's worth, I opened to 0 FC and 0 CYA and I only shocked at night for the first two days (since the days were sunny) and throughout the third day which was overcast all day and the shock process was over.

I believe the sunny days help clear out the CC for me.

If your pool isn't green or cloudy like mine was, it shouldn't take much longer. I added about 40 or so 182 oz containers of bleach, but that was at 0 CYA.

7:30 AM FC 32 CC .5

I am starting to question the accuracy of our testing. These #'s indicate the overnight test did not pass. We have been at shock level for almost 3 days and the pool was perfectly clear when we started. Last night I added the amount of bleach that should have taken the FC level from 28 to 31 or 32, but it went to 35. Now I was the one that tested and got the reading of 28 and my wife tested for our baseline to do the overnight test and got the 35.

I am thinking of not adding any bleach during the day today and doing another overnight loss test tonight, any opinions?

Works for me. :)
Make sure you are doing the FC test correctly - the solution is totally clear for at least 30 seconds before moving on to the CC portion. If it's turning pink within 10 seconds or so you aren't done counting the FC level. Furthermore, don't let it sit more than a minute as it will turn pink again.

Also, tonight, I wouldn't add any more bleach either. Just test the FC level and record it, then test again tomorrow - that way you don't have to worry about bleach additions skewing the result if it's not fully circulated, etc.

11:30 FC 30 CC .5

Looks like I am good it is very sunny and hot so I am not surprised I lost 2 in 4 hours. I will not add any more bleach today, do the overnight test tonight and keep my fingers crossed. Assuming a CYA of 70 what should I target my FC to be? I think the chart says 7 with a min of 5.

Thanks to all that have assisted me through this process.

If I understand correctly as long as I keep my FC where it should be I do not need a weekly shock as I've done for the past 6 years? Also, as part of my weekly maintanence (per the PB and Pool store) I have been adding 6oz of Algicide. Is this o.k. to continue as I already bought the stuff? Is it needed? Thanks again.

Yes, FC around 5 to 7 (or 8) is good for normal day to day use with a CYA of 70.

There is no need to shock unless something goes wrong.

There is no need for algaecide. We recommend not adding anything unless you need it. Still, if you want to use it up, it shouldn't hurt anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am getting fustrated. Did the overnight test and here are the results.

last night 8:00 pm FC 23 CC .5

this morning 7:00 am FC 21 CC .5

Water is sparkling clear.

Technically this failed, but is close. More information...I did swim about 1.5 before the sample was pulled last night. The pump does not run overnight, but does an hour before the morning sample. The sun was down last night but it wasn't dark, hot though. Sun was up this morning but not directly on the pool. What should I do?

What should I do?
The often frustrating answer is simple....you must keep your FC up at that high level until you lose 1ppm or less overnight.

POP is in order now. The last little bit to a perfectly sanitized pool seems to always take the longest. Once done, though, it will make your daily maintenance a snap and you will not regret hangin' in there and clearing your pool completely.

In my case i will not be able to raise to shock level until I get home tonight. Sure would have been easier/cheaper to keep it there a day ago. Guess I am still learning. Sure is a bummer there will be no swimming as warm as it is here.

I played out the last week soooo close with my overnight losses I went from 3 to 2 for a few days then 1 but I wanted less than 1 so held off 2 more days. Finally at less than 1 overnight, but it was very frustrating to get there. Even more for you since your pool has been so clear for so long. Just keep plugging along with your shock levels until you have less than 1ppm loss at night, your getting so close you can taste it hang in there :wink:

If your pool is clear and you've been shocking for a few days and still can't pass the overnight test it's time to start looking for hiding places. Ladders/steps are good places, nooks or crannys, lights, etc. Some pools just take time to come around but you want to eliminate every possibility that there's something hiding in there.

I looked all over last night and saw no hint of algea anywhere. I have never seen algea in the 7 years we have had our pool, even at opening. Guess that is why it is so fustrating, pool looks better than ever. I'll try and post a picture tonight if I can figure out how. I did have it a shock level for about 3 days, although one of the days I only had it at the recommended level from the pool calculator (21), then I raised it to 31 for the rest of the time, CYA about 70. It appears I just got too anxious.

What about sand filter cleaner. The previous owners left a bottle of it.

I'll tell you one thing I've been doing... and I don't know that I recommend it. My CYA is hovering between 30 and 40. So, when I leave for the day, when I know chlorine is going to get burnt off by the sun, I put a 3" puck in the skimmer basket.
I take it out in the evening, while I shock, and leave it out overnight to do my drop testing. But I figure it helps keep the FC # up during the day, and I don't mind getting a little more CYA in the pool right now. That way I don't have to start shocking with as low a FC level when I get home from work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.