Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear Water, high CC

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear Water, high CC

I just received the TF100 test kit to try and figure out why I can't hold chlorine in my pool. I have a 24000 gal vinyl liner pool in MI. I do not trust the pool store anymore so decided to take the advice on this forumn and go it by myself. I have an inline chlorine dispenser but have decided to try the bleach method and see if I can get my CYA levels to come down.

First check, CYA 80 FC .5 CC 3. I know that is bad and probably why I can't hold chlorine. I added bleach per the pool calculator last night to bring FC to 21 and will check again this morning and add more bleach as necessary to maintain FC at 21 until CC are below .5.

Question, my water is crystal clear. Is it normal to have CC so high but the water so clear? I did the test twice about 8 hours apart and had the same result CC = 3.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Jeff
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear Water, high CC

Welcome to TFP!

With a CYA of 80, your shock level is 31 of FC. Unless you bring your FC up to 31, it will be tough to clear your water.

This is why is would make good sense to go ahead and change out water in your pool to bring your CYA down. If you changed out 50% of your water, it should bring your CYA down to 40, a very manageable number. I would then fill it back up and retest your levels and then go from there.

It's also best to stick to bleach or chlorinating liquid as there is no CYA in those.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

You added bleach to get FC to 21 and by morning FC was 0.5 and CC was 3 -- so something consumed the FC and left some CC. The sun and more chlorine will help get rid of the CC. You do want to drain and refill to control the CYA, and as suggested by 257WbyMag, 50% drain will be about right.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Why does the pool calculator indicate a shock level of 21 with CYA at 80? Changing out 12000 gallons of water is not in my budget so I need to work with what I have. As far as "clearing the water" I assume you are talking about high CC?
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

5. Back To Top    #5

New information.

Tested a few minutes ago. FC 10.5 CC 1.5 Still going by Pool calculater #'s of raising FC to 21 unless I am told this is wrong. Will test again about noon.

6. Back To Top    #6

Use this chart to determine what your FC should be based on your CYA.

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7

There's a difference between the Pool Calc and the Chlorine/CYA chart at high CYA levels. They both work but the chlorine/CYA chart will work a little faster.

One thing you do want to do is test and add as often as you can. Once and hour is recommended when starting the shock process.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Need some more help now. Noon FC 21 cc 1.5 added bleach to bring FC to 31. tested again at 5:30 FC 21 CC appeared to be 0, didn't look like the 5 drops changed the color at all. What do I do now, let the FC bleed down to about 8 and keep it there or raise FC to 31 again? Since CC seems to be 0 and the sun will go down soon I assume the FC level will stay fairly high overnight. What is a safe level to swim? I'd love to jump in now.

Thanks,
    Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

I would do an overnight FC loss test to make sure all the algae is dead and organics cleaned up before lowering your FC level. When overnight loss is 1.0 or lower, and the CC level is 0.5 or lower, and the water is clear, and FC is below shock level for your CYA level you can swim.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Should I raise FC back to shock level or just wait until sun goes down check FC and then check again in the AM?

11. Back To Top    #11

Took FC back to 31 for the night. CC was 1 so I don't expect the FC test to hold. When can I test PH to make sure it is O.K? Can I do this while I am shocking or should I get the chlorine under control then do any necessary PH adjustment?

12. Back To Top    #12

The PH test is essentially meaningless when the FC level is that high. You should wait till FC is below 15 before adjusting the PH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

This morning's #'s

FC 25 CC 1

Will raise to shock level and check in a bit. Any idea how long this may go on? The water is so crystal clear, this is painful especially with the holiday week-end approaching.

14. Back To Top    #14

Can't say how long it will take, but the more often you raise to shock level (as often as once an hour) the faster it will go.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

11:30 AM...FC 28 CC .5 added 1.5 96 OZ 6%
    2:30 PM...FC 29 CC 1 Added 1 96 OZ 6%

How long can I keep the FC at 31 without damaging anything. Started this Sunday evening. This is turning into an expensive process.

16. Back To Top    #16

the process can take 2-3days and sometimes longer. You're getting close. You can try the overnight test tonight. Also, make sure the pool is uncovered while shocking as sunlight will help burn off the CC along with the high FC level. If CYA is really 80...FC of 31 should not damage things.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

17. Back To Top    #17

With a CYA of 80ppm you can hold it at 31ppm for a very long time and not hurt anything.

In the big scheme of things it's not nearly as expensive as if you were adding all the stuff the pool store would have you add.
    How many bottles of bleach have you added to date?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I think I am at 35 96 Oz jugs so far.

As far as CYA, pool store said 76 at opening and when I tested a week ago it was between 70 and 80. I should check it again, can this be done at shock levels? I am hoping by backwashing and maybe a couple of smaller drains I can get it down to the 60ish level.

19. Back To Top    #19

The CYA test should be alright even at high FC levels.

20. Back To Top    #20

6:30 FC 28 CC .5 added 1.5 96 oz 6%
    8:30 FC 35 CC 1 don't know how that happened, shouldn't have raised it more than 3 or 4.
    Going to do the FC loss test tonight

I also checked CYA again tonight. Tried it 3 times and got between 65 and 70. So I think I am closer to 70 than 80. Should I lower my shock level from the 31 I have been maintaining assuming the FC test does not pass tonight?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast