Solar Cover Spec

Jul 21, 2007
Michigan,
Hi, buying a new solar cover this season and would like to know about the diff specs
Is buying the thicker better geezzzz you have 5,8,12,16mm
Is the colour so important blue,black,maxi clear
Going to buy sometime this week as soon as get info from you guys

Happy swimming this season to one and all
Regards David

All I have is my own humble opinion but I bought a 12 mil clear and love it. We've been swimming for over a month. I can definitely tell a difference in water temp if I leave it off for a night. Leaving it on during the day doesn't seem to affect the heat gain which is why I went with clear. One drawback to clear is that I haven't seen a reduction in FC consumption as reported by some of the dark colored owners. Not a big deal to me as I only use 1½ quarts of bleach a day.

Having said that, I'm going to strongly consider getting an 8 mil cover when this one needs replacing. I can handle it well, but the DW has a problem, so a few pounds might make it easier for her to handle it on the reel.

David...I will start by saying your cover helps keep the dirt out, blocking UV helps a lot with CL use, cuts out evaporation, and help retain heat in the pool.

My pool is a rectangle with rounded corners and with using the heavy covers the return would move the cover away from the walls. I didn't like the heavy cover.

With the clear cover my CL use went up triple. I only kept the clear cover about 30 days until i got a new one.

What I have found that I like is the blue top and silver bottom liners in 8 or 12mm. The lighter mill liner will go up the side of my pool about a inch and cause a nice seal and on my pool they dont move. I have never used a black liner so I cant say on those and I like the looks of the blue in my pool.

My cover is on all the time if no one is using the pool. I live in Ohio and I heat the pool and I would recommend anybody using a pool in the north to have a solar cover.

I would also say dont spend a lot on a cover you can figure 3-4 years use out of one before you replace. The warrantys on the covers cover manufacture defects and it is up to the consumer to pay shipping. So that is your call.

I hope I helped a little...Have a great pool season.....Ric

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.