Harsh water

Shane1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2010
Buckeye, AZ 85326
We had our first pool party Saturday. The pool was a big hit thanks in part to this forum. I did hear mention of dry itchy skin after swimming. It was windy which probably didnt help. All of my test numbers were on the money the day of the party. Is there anything I can add to the water to make it more swimmer friendly?
Thanks

What were your test numbers on the day of the party? Normally, properly balanced water causes no untoward effects to skin. You could have developed some CC due to the number of swimmers in the pool during the party as is common. This may also be sun related.

I usually run a little higher than required FC during the course of a party. My target, based on my CYA level, is 6 ppm. I'll bump it to 7.5 for a party with lots of swimmers. It keeps my CC down that way.

I'd like to see what he numbers were. I guess I'm spoiled but I really like knowing the numbers.

Back to the question at hand. If it was pretty windy and hot that tends to dry the skin out fast and cause itchyness. Also, as mentioned, adding about 2,000ppm salt helps the water feel soft and actually feels better to the eyes.

Not the water perhaps?

Hello~

Glad you had a successful party~

It is very possible that the alleged dry itchy skin had nothing at all to do with your pool water. Was your own skin dry and itchy?

Some people have dry skin. I have dry skin, now that I'm older. I've never been to Arizona, but don't folks like it there because it is not humid and jungle-like? Seems to me that some people will suffer from dry skin in Arizona.

Also some people are a little neurotic and just knowing they were in a pool that has--OMG--chlorine in it is enough to start them scratching.

The above posters' water-enhancement ideas will be something you might appreciate doing for yourself, and the next time around, you might mention to your friends that you have added some special products to your water just for them! :-D

Happy Swimming~

Lana

Thanks for all the responses.
Here are my numbers from this morning. My test results have been pretty solid everyday. The water is clear and sparkly.
I'm using the "Deluxe Poolcare DPD Test Kit"
FC 3
TC 3
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 90
TH 250

It is very important to keep track of your CYA level.
Leslies should give you a sheet of the test result, there is a column said CYA.
It is always a good idea to get yourself a TF100 like test kit which you can test CYA
yourself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chem geek said:
Pool stores are notorious at doing the CYA test incorrectly. You really, really need your own good test kit. It is THE most important investment you can make for pool maintenance.

I second that. I have fresh filled water bring to two leslies at same time, one test 0 CYA the other one 30.
I seems that which individual test your water matters a lot of the out come.
The good store staff consistently give me good test results that match
my own test.

I did not buy my own test kit until recently. I feel it is kind of expensive because I
can always get it test free. Now I am glad I did. Actually, I wish I get the TF100 delux
because chlorine and CYA is what I care most. Chlorine need to monitor closely
and CYA used a lot to do one test.

BTW, some leslies people will skip the CC test and just write zero or 0.1 if you tell them your water is clear.
I am watching them and try learn how the heck can they do the water test that fast. :)
Some of it is good skill and some of it is, hmm, you don't want to learn those any way.
CC is likely what cause your chlorine smell.

If your CYA is really 40. The number looks good except that FC is a little bit on the low side.
For CYA 40 your FC min is 3. Max is 5. So you might want to raise your FC to some thing close
to 5. Especially you just have a party. Do an over night FC loss test and see if the FC drop
more than 1ppm over night.

Still not sure about the dry itchy skin though. Well balanced water should not cause that.
Did you have your pump run a while before the water sample? You want the water well
mixed for testing.

Again, I feel I must say that just because somebody said they had dry itchy skin does not mean that there is a darned thing wrong with the OP's pool water. People can be odd; their bodies can be odd, and they can say odd things for odd reasons.

I do encourage the OP to buy a knockout test kit and to come to be very familiar with the joys of having a firm, confident handle on exactly what is going on in one's own pool/water. Knowledge is bliss.

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.