LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2008
Fort Gratiot MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well I opened my pool finally today, 80 degrees and I couldnt resist any longer even though we are going to be gone for the long weekend (I was going to wait till after the hoilday weekend)

So Im opened and my levels are:

FC 7.0
CC 0.5
TC 7.5
PH 7.2
TA 50
Borates 30

Havent checked the CYA yet thats tomorrow its too dark now to check it.

Now the question is, it is a little cloudy from the winter, I use a mesh cover. Should I shock the pool or no since it has 7.0 FC (I did pour two gallns in it a few weeks ago just to keep it with chlorine)? I was thinking to just let the filter do it's job for the next day or two and see if it takes care of the cloudy in the water.

What do you guys think? To shock or not to shock?

Brian

Thanks dmanb,

I was thinking the same thing. Last year I opened and it was cloudy so I shocked it and it took a week for the TC to come down low enough to swim in it. I figured I'd try something different this year and see if I could just leave it and do an overnight FC test on it.

There is a bit of silt in the bottom but I will vacuum that up tomorrow then backwash.

My 6yr old is bugging me to go in the pool so I didnt want to have to wait to tell her yes.

Thanks again
Brian

anytime...I opened on Friday...my residual was just about where you were with 0.5 cc's...lowered my TA on Friday....brought my salt and borates up yesterday...kids took a dip today (68 deg...brrr).

Definitely get your CYA checked...then you will know your shock level. FC below shock level is safe to swim in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.