New Pool Just Started Up, Any Tips From Experience

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
My new pool was just started up 2 days ago. It's still fairly cloudy due to all the plaster dust, etc but is clearing. Any tips on things that you think I may want to know at this stage of the game will be appreciated.

Here's what we got:

11,000 gal. inground pebbletec
TFTest Kit
FC 5.5
CC 0
Ph 7.2 (have poured entire gal of 31.45% muratic over 2 days to get here!)
TA 240 (working on bringing this down, target ~100)
CYA <20 (needs to come up, target 75 - SWG eventually)
CH 100 (target 250)

Pump is running 24/7 at this point.

Been brushing couple times a day and vacuuming once a day. Have a Legend Platinum cleaner, but was advised against using it by PB until all the dust clears. Should I add D.E./clarifier, etc. to speed up the clear-up?

The start-up guys put pucks in the skimmer (I assume Trichlor). Also, I added some bleach behind their backs just get the "quick" FC up. Any suggestions on adding cal hypo, ch increaser to get my CH up while I wait on my plaster to cure? The salt won't be added to the pool for a couple of weeks.

TIA,

Dave

P.S. By the way, I could not imagine being in this position without having read the information on poolsolutions and now TFP. I mean it could be a catastrophe because I'm getting no knowledge from my PB. I will have "Pool School" at some point, but the water could get way out of control by that time.

Best advice I can give you is to fill it in right now and forget about it! Otherwise you will end up like the rest of us on here....You will have a pool and no life! ;)

New plaster rarely needs additional calcium added. It will start climbing soon! Right now just do your best to keep the FC and the pH in line and don't worry too much about anything else for the next couple of weeks. (Make sure you have enough CYA in the water for now--30-50 ppm. You can bump it up higher when the SWG goes online.

Probably the most important thing to be doing now is BRUSHING the pool as much as possible. You really can't overbrush new plaster.

Gee Dave,sounding like a pool owner now instead of someone building a pool! Must be a great feeling crossing over to the other side. I suppose I should start concentrating on all the Chem stuff too so I am in a good place come fill time. This site really is great.

Time to order my Test Kit!

wardsntx said:
Gee Dave,sounding like a pool owner now instead of someone building a pool! Must be a great feeling crossing over to the other side. I suppose I should start concentrating on all the Chem stuff too so I am in a good place come fill time. This site really is great.

Time to order my Test Kit!

Yes, it feels so good asking these questions rather than saying "waiting on this, waiting on that"!

AAAHHHH!!! That has yet to be determined.... You are just starting to take care of your pool. You now have set your own destiny. If you take the little bit of time it takes to take care of it.... You've got it made (No Dark Side). If you let it slip into Algae mode, etc. (You are giving into the dark side). That makes sense, huh????? OK, I know, I watch too much Star Wars.

Congrats on the completion. I hope you enjoy it as much as me and my family are enjoying ours. Great Job. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure hope you get a better guy for pool school then the one they sent me - he SUCKED!!! He was rushing things, only willing to explain the very bare minimum. He was suppose to come to my house before 11am but instead came right at lunch time (feeding time with two little ones = could not be out there so hubby was......). Everytime hubby came in I asked him a question and he would be like "Oh, he has not said" and ran back after the guy. He was in and out of my yard in a flash. As we are 1st time pool owners, we did not know all the questions to ask and bascially hubby said if he didn't ask..pool guy did not tell. It was an utter joke! I am so glad to have found this site! Good luck and write down any questions that come to mind. BTW - it took the pentair guy to actually explain to me that they set my pump entirely too high. He reprogrammed my system and explained run times and intellichlor outputs to me. What a great guy....not to mention he gave me his cell number incase I ever have a problem :)

KTdave - I wouldn't be surprised if the pucks in the skimmer aren't cal-hypo pucks. Just have a feeling. You can usually tell, because they get mushy really quickly, whereas trichlor pucks stay hard as rocks as they dwindle.

I can hardly wait to see pics of it filled.

Buggsw said:
KTdave - I wouldn't be surprised if the pucks in the skimmer aren't cal-hypo pucks. Just have a feeling. You can usually tell, because they get mushy really quickly, whereas trichlor pucks stay hard as rocks as they dwindle.

These pucks must be trichlor then, cause they were hard as rocks till they dissolved in ~2 days.

I'll try and get a picture after work.

My two cents,

Seems like you are ahead of the game already. I would do what WaterBear said and would add only enough CYA 30-50 at this point, it could take a while for the CYA to dissolve so add what you think you need and test a week later. You will go through a lot of cya regeant. My PH is still rising after 3 months (Diamond Brite plaster) so be prepared to add acid every other day. Keep a log of all your test results, what you did to correct and notice the changes this helps you learn your pool better.

Read all the stickies
I would use trichlor pucks in the beggining due to it adds cya, chlorine and lowers your ph all of which a new plaster pool needs and it is a consistent form of chlorine while you get used to your pools chlorine consumption.

Don't be afraid to go to your local pool store, they sometimes have good specials, they also can check salt levels and minerals/metals for you eventhough you may not have a way to test yourself, but whatever you do verify their advice on this forum and kindly tell them that you need to check your stock if they try to push you some chemicals.

Have fun and congrats.

ktdave said:
Buggsw said:

These pucks must be trichlor then, cause they were hard as rocks till they dissolved in ~2 days.

I'll try and get a picture after work.

Hmmm, most of the trichlor pucks I buy, say DO NOT put them in the skimmer, however, the Cal-Hypo's say to put them in the skimmer - so, I'm still wondering if they aren't Cal-Hypo. Also, my Tri-Chlor pucks don't dissolve in 2 days, ever. Could be different brands do different things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.