Need to purchase a new pump - Recommendations?

Jun 3, 2008
Ok, guys, I've done a few searches before posting, but I think I'm even more confused now than when we started, so I'm just going to ask!

We need to replace our old pump - it was a Water Ace RSP10, 1hp. Our pool is only about 11k gallons - 12ft x 40ft, 3ft deep the entire length.

It seems to me that we could go to a 3/4 hp pump without any problems, right? Can someone just tell me which pump they would recommend? I need to order one asap and I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed with the choice. We want to keep the price low (of course). Someone on another thread recommended this http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-Water ... 274&sr=8-1 Neiko pump, but there don't seem to be any reviews on it. Maybe a too good to be true thing, considering how cheap it is?

Thanks for your input!

Can you give us a little more info? Do you have a cleaner of any kind? What kind of electric rates do you have? (If you don't know that, where do you live?)

That info can make a difference.

Things to consider,

1- The voltage of your existing pump. ( must be correct.)

2- Your in-ground pool uses a self priming pump. Be sure it is otherwise it wont work.

3- Your suction and discharge piping size.

4- Sometimes cost less actually cost more in the long run.

5- cost upfront from least to most single speed, 2 speed, and variable speed. Higher quality price can be offset by savings in electric bills.

Make sure you are weighing apples to apples. I use a hayward single speed pump because thats what the pool had when I bought the house. It has worked fine so far, but when I remodel the pool next year it will be replaced with a variable speed pump. Hayward is on my short list so far.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I'm not sure of our electric rates, but we live in Southern Oregon. I have been absolutely shocked by our electricity consumption in this house (we've lived here for 3 years). Now, I'm wondering if part of that is the pool pump? I'm thinking the other piece is the fact that we have two older water heaters, but I had never even thought about the pump being a big part of the problem until now. I'm very interested in a more energy efficient pump, to see if that makes a difference at all.

Our suction and discharge pipe size is 1.5". Voltage of existing pump is 115v.

With those pieces in mind, is there a specific model/brand that you could point me to? Also, do you find it's worth the savings to order from an online source? If so, are there any you'd recommend?

Thanks again!

I dropped the ball about getting a pump the last couple of days, and so I've called my two local stores to see what they have in stock. One has a 3/4hp Sta-Rite pump for $450, the other has a 3/4hp Pentair WhisperFlow for $399. Thinking I'll just go ahead and pick up the Pentair. Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.