Should I Decontaminate My Spa? ASAP Please

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
Water balance was perfect when I emptied it several days ago. Bromine, 3 step. Haven't had any issues at all, but when I drained it the disposable, micro filter was covered with dark grey silty stuff (not at all slimy) with little penetrated into the interior layers. I have done quited a lot of burning of old logs and branches several nights this past month. Water has been kept in balance the whole time. Anyway it has been about four months since last water change, or maybe longer, we haven't been using it as much as normal. Micro filter has been in at least two months. I have four regular clean cartridges. I like the filtration of the Micro Filter but may not spend the money for another one right now.

It's been sitting for about five days, mostly drained. I've had the umbrella partially shading it all those days. Three of those days it was pretty cool, mid to low 80's, and mostly cloudy and rain. Yesterday air temp finally reached 90 and today close. Past two days partly sunny, with periods of intense sunshine. Yesterday, late afternoon the humidity suddenly shot up into the 60s. It's better today, thank doGness. Should I do a fill and decontamination for a couple of hours? And should I go up all the way to decontamination FC like when treating for bio-slime. I haven't had any bio-slime since I HYPER Decontaminated it months ago. I really don't mind doing that and it's only 550 gallons of water.

Thanks, gg=alice

I would do it, if nothing else just for peace of mind. When I read about your bio slime incident a while back, I didn't go back in my tub for a few days! That should've been an eye opener for everyone here!

On a different note, at least you're not as bad off as me. My inlaws came over to use the tub a few days ago, and since they don't listen to a word I say about not washing their swimsuits, I had foam like crazy! I got that cleared up fairly quickly. But that's not the worst of it! Yesterday morning (2 days after they were over) I went out to check the levels, and found one of their empty cigarette packs in the tub! :rant: I know it wasn't there after they got out, because I already checked it! It gets worse...the foam was back! :rant: :rant: And even worse, I found a 4 inch split on the top of the tub! :rant: :rant: :rant: It was in the spot where the topside control would go (which we don't have so it's a hole), and the top lip had slightly twisted there and split! Seems to me like someone came and used the tub without us knowing! And who knows how in the world they managed to do it! I went out there the morning after they came over and picked up their beer cans and empty cig packs, and I KNOW I didn't miss anything! So, apparently SOMEONE was over here without us knowing, and they are the only ones I know that smoke that brand (not a common brand). I'm not even sure if the tub is usable anymore, and won't until I fill it back up and see what happens...

Sorry, had to vent. Besides, I thought you might like to hear one of my stories for a change!

Thanks John. I'm going to get it filling now and do a decontamination with bleach for a few hours. I have a whole container of chlorine neutralizer I'll use before emptying it into the woods.

What a horrible experience with your tub. Sounds like you could use a good big dog that barks but won't really hurt anyone, and will know when to run if someone tries to hurt it. That's what we've loved, all these years, with our English Mastiffs. The last house we lived in we actually trained them and the Rottie to not eat anything unless we or their handlers gave it to them. Poison Training.

Thanks for sharing. Almost all of the sharing that people do will help some people or at least help to realize they are not alone in some situations.

Some unsolicited advice. I've been there. If your cover is the "regular" kind, vinyl over foam, usually with a thin clear inner "poly" liner get it patched as soon as possible, inner and outer. Otherwise the foam will gradually begin to get "soggy" as it ages and water collects between the cover and liner or under the liner. It makes for a very heavy cover to deal with.

EDIT..... I see you said top. So it's not the cover but the actual acrylic. Double bummer. :x

Hope you get some resolution. Are you going to decontaminate? No telling what they put in the water. Do you have any idea who used it when you were not there? Check your home insurance. If intruders get hurt they can sue you. We carry a very inexpensive Umbrella policy that covers us, car insurance and home insurance, above our regular coverage and up to a million. It cost less than $400 a year. You can even go higher. Gives us a little piece of mind.

gg=alice

GG -

For one thing we actually don't have HO ins. I know, stupid, but I live in the house my dad built over 25 yrs ago and he never had it either. I know it's no excuse, but also considering I've been unemployed for a tad over 3 yrs and money is tight fairly often, what am I to do?

As far as who it was, I know exactly who. It was my wife's mother-in-law. It was her brand of cigs, she always does Crud like that and then lies about it, and she could care less who's property it is. She's been like that since I got together with my wife. Always snooping around here when we're not home and such. The only thing I could do to stop it is put up a fence around the property, but I do have a reason for not doing that. Now fencing in the backyard only, that's something we're seriously considering.

EDIT: We WERE home. She would just rather sneak around than knock on the door. She's just like that.

Sure I only paid $150 for the tub, but that's not the point. At this point all I can do is reinforce the frame some more and fill it, then hope it doesn't fall apart. She's already been told she's welcome to use it as long as we're home, and as long as she doesn't wash her swimsuit (or at least rinses it off REALLY well). Does she care? Of course not! I'm just going to hide a security camera out there and when she does it again (and she will!) tell her I'm showing it to the police.

Dogs aren't even an option. Everyone out here shoots dogs and poisons cats, even if they're in your own yard. But of course they have dogs of their own, roaming around destroying everything they can get their mouth around.

Ok, end rant. Again. Hope you can enjoy your tub again soon! And, thanks for listening. It helps to type it out, even though my blood is still boiling about it.

Take care, Alice.

Well John, all I can say is be patient and kind and don't stress yourself over it (and refrain from taking out on anyone especially better half). I'm sorry for your problems. I guess you are in a corner doing much about the situation, until you put some thinking to it for resolution. But stepping back and looking at your options, without trigger reactions, could be of benefit.

It's in the wee hours so I'm not going to do a search but I think I remember when you purchased and revamped your spa. You put a lot of love and work into that as I remember. Who cares what it cost you money wise. That is not the point. I think many of us can relate to the care one would like your spa and possessions and property and loved ones to receive from anyone. What you have done is take a crippled orphan and given it a new life. And it appears that all of your work has paid off, even if your success brings you new problems.

pm me if you want to discuss this situation. You have options that might not be apparent to you at this time. Again, I understand your anger, as many here can, I can relate, as many here can, and you can find a resolution to this problem.

Yikes. :eek: I sound like the counselor I'm "accused" of being. :lol:

BTW.... at this moment spa is running with lots of bleach in it. Before I filled it (water, of course doesn't drain all the way out of seats) DH came out and asked me about the "green" stain on one seat. :lol: :lol: Good ol' green algae. His noticing it helped me make a point about spending the time to decontaminate, and do it "right", and how keeping things balanced pays off, and how fast "things" can "get bad" if you don't stay on top of it. He got it. He's "spoiled" as the spa is always perfect whenever he wants to use it. He may complain about the time I spend on the pool but never mentions the amount of time I spend keeping the spa ready and perfect (actually not much time).

gg=alice

Thanks Alice, for taking the time to listen. Some good news, the spot that twisted has mostly returned to normal. You can't tell anymore unless you already knew it was there. So I'll be doing some reinforcement to try and keep it from moving again. I can't really mess with it today, it's our anniversary, and since we don't really get to spend a lot of time together, that's what we'll be doing today.

I'm not really angry about the situation (anymore!), I just don't get how someone can be so inconsiderate of other people. But I have learned it's better just to let these things go, especially with family.

So with that I will say thank you. :goodjob: At least now I know who the board counselor is! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.