Please Help from over the Pond!!

wampa1

Jul 31, 2007
Fareham,England
Hi guys,

Been looking on your forum for a while. Whenever I tried to join the forum via hotmail, I never got the activation email.

All your pools look so nice, I am so jealous!

Well over here in not so sunny UK, we dont have Pool Guys/ladies or pool shops!! It's a bit harder over here, to do what some of u guys do.

I have bought an Intex 12'x30" deep (I know you're all saying that's a paddling pool,) a pool heater, solar cover, filter, debri cover, pool skimmer.

Feeling good! Now our summers are Max 25 degrees C intex pool heater maxes out at 29 degreesc takes 2 days to get to that.

1st question:
I live in a very chalk water/hard water area. I add lots of PH Minus and with my test strips nothing seems to happen - remember this is a small pool.

I would like to get some proper testing equipment but no idea what to get, where to get in the UK.

Is CYA important? My test only do the 3.

My water is clear and blue and has been for over a month. I clean it everyday with net and vacuum cleaner and replace filter every 2 weeks. I'm doing okay I think but still in the wilderness.

I've used the pool prob 10 times in the last month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.......

It sounds like you've taken nice care of your pool. Have you put any chlorine in it?

If not, I would put about 1 litre of household bleach in the pool daily (In the evening would be best). That should give you a chlorine level sufficient to keep your pool sanitized and prevent algae from growing.

Other than that, I'm not sure I could suggest you add anything else. The other parameters of pool water chemistry are probably not worth addressing as long as your water stays nice.

Welcome to TFP!

You might have trouble lowering your PH if your TA was very high.

CYAcan be important. Without any CYA you would lose all of your chlorine before sundown each sunny day. With too much CYA your chlorine becomes ineffective and you need to use very high FC levels. Trichlor and dichlor contain CYA, so if you have been adding chlorine with trichlor pucks you already have some CYA. The challenge with trichlor pucks is to not get too much CYA.

Sorry, but I have no idea where you can buy pool stuff there.

Welcome to TFP!

Look in my signature, there are some helpful links. Especially read 'the stickies'

CYA is sunscreen for the chlorine. Sun burns off your chlorine so fast it cannot work. CYA is like sunscreen for your Chlorine. It binds part of the chlorine to keep it in the water longer. BUT, it also reduces the effectiveness of the chlorine. If your CYA gets too high, the chlorine cannot work, and you will develop problems.

What are you using to chlorinate your water? pucks?

I need a conversion table, since I have no idea how hot or cold 25*C might be!!

ETA I was way behind the power curve on that response... EVERYBODY beat me to it!!

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

You might have trouble lowering your PH if your TA was very high.

CYA is important. Without any CYA you would lose all of your chlorine before sundown each sunny day. With too much CYA your chlorine becomes ineffective and you need to use very high FC levels. Trichlor and dichlor contain CYA, so if you have been adding chlorine with trichlor pucks you already have some CYA. The challenge with trichlor pucks is to not get too much CYA.

Sorry, but I have no idea where you can buy pool stuff there.

I just need to know wheir I can buy a kit!!

The Mermaid Queen said:
Welcome to TFP!

Look in my signature, there are some helpful links. Especially read 'the stickies'

CYA is sunscreen for the chlorine. Sun burns off your chlorine so fast it cannot work. CYA is like sunscreen for your Chlorine. It binds part of the chlorine to keep it in the water longer. BUT, it also reduces the effectiveness of the chlorine. If your CYA gets too high, the chlorine cannot work, and you will develop problems.

What are you using to chlorinate your water? pucks?

ETA I was way behind the power curve on that response... EVERYBODY beat me to it!!

What sun!!! lol just seen a rainbow... I would love just too have a few hours of sun aday..

no worries of anything burning off here!!! lol

hey welcome, I just recently relocated here from Scotland, I know where your coming from about the weather
btw here in Michigan today it is 94f I think that works out about 34c, just thought you might want to know that :wink:
the guys in this site are very much on the ball and will assist you in any way they can.

Best Regards b/d

The Mermaid Queen said:

My Pool Calculator can do that too. Switch to units to metric, enter 25 as the temperature, switch units to U.S. and it will show 77 degrees. The pool size field can be used to convert gallons. And the "Effects of adding chemicals" input field will do ml <-> oz, g <-> oz, and kg <-> lbs depending on what chemical you have selected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.