Quartz with plaster--worth it for longevity?

Jun 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've been getting quotes to replaster our 20x40 IG pool and replace the tile. Some companies (including one highly recommended by a fellow forumite who is in the biz) suggest using a quartz aggregate instead of straight plaster. The companies say that the finish will last longer than plain plaster. Reading previous reviews on the forum, that seems to be the consensus. The quotes we are getting for the job (including replacing the pool and spa light) are on the order of $9-10k, $1600 of that is for the quartz. Anyone want to give an opinion on if this is worth it or not? We are in Southern California, if that makes any difference. We also don't really care about the color of the pool water (as long as it's not green :-D).

One company refers to Colorquartz aggregate, another (the forum-recommended one) to 100% quartz. Are those different names for pretty much the same product, or is there some real difference?

Thanks for any input.

3M the key maker of quartz is discontinuing their line. You will see that most of the posters on this forum will tell you to stay away. Go with plaster or pebble. If longevity is you concern pebble has a much long life, BUT the key to any pool is great water chemistry. You have found the right place.

I must admit I'm surprised by these responses, because other posts I've read here on TFP are more positive about the advantages of quartz, even while negative about 3M. Maybe there's been a change in opinion? I asked Highly Recommended Place if their quartz was 3M, and they said it wasn't, that 3M was already out of the business.

The pool itself is on the order of 30 years old. We've lived in the house for 12 years, so I figure we've gotten our money's worth out of the current plaster, and that I've done not a half-bad job taking care of the pool. Probably the asbestos in the plaster mix helped too. :-D

I'd love Pebble-tec for longevity, but it is definitely going to be out of budget.

dykes26 said:
....You will see that most of the posters on this forum will tell you to stay away.....
Disagree - I love my quartz finish. I never cared for the feel of, look of, or expense of, pebble. I've only had my quartz finish 3 years, but often see my brother's older quartz pool, which still looks great.

3M exiting the quartz market means little more than it wasn't working out for them for whatever reason. Best advice is to be sure your new finish contractor is experienced with the product you select, and look at examples of their work.

I agree that there are some ( even MANY) that love the quartz- I actually really like the look as well. What I have read (note- have no personal experience) and should have clarified is that there is now a great deal of evidence that quartz MAY not extend the life of the pool plaster at all despite the claims originally made by the makers of the product and there are far more complaints about splotch issues with quartz than most other plaster installs ( dark colored plaster also sees many complaints.) Most plaster guys are pushing their customers away from quartz.

We had 6 quotes on our recent pool build. We originally were leaning toward quartz but most were very hesitant about it. They thought we would be better off going with plain plaster or pebble.

We chose pebble because there is substantial evidence that the extended periods between re plastering a pebble pool is well worth the extra few thousand. There are many pools down under where pebble was first used that are on a quarter century or more and still have no need to be re done and actually show little wear at all. Your typical replaster of a plain plaster is 7-10 years BUT again its your water chemistry. Many posters on this board who really take care of their pool have had great results with plaster and have far exceeded the 7-10 average. I think I have even read one or two that are on 20 years.

It all comes down to preference- I love our stonescapes tahoe blue mini pebble with extra black. I was worried about the "feel" but can tell you that we have been in our pool for hours at a time with little ones (ages 2-8) living on the baja shelf and clinging to the side and have not had a single blister. My kids (not the toughest kids on the block) even overheard our worries and were a little worried about entering the pool at first. They now have zero issue and live in our pool 5-6 days a week.

If your in orange county CA and want to come by and see our pebble or swim in it send me a message.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.