Zodiac LM3-40 Salt Water Chlorinator

The AutoPilot has died, not just the cell. We've replaced the cell twice, the power cord once (could be the problem again-"amps low" message) but the plastic viewing panel has broken and water got inside, we think. If it was just one problem we'd try to repair or fix it, but it's 6 or 7 years old with multiple injuries. We were also looking at the Compupool system but have seen some bad reviews. Sure is a good price, though.

I have the Zodiac LM2-40 chlorinator. They don't sell the LM3 in Canada.

After 3 seasons, I have had no issues with the chlorinator. It works very well. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to purchase a salt system.

LM3 is old school, they have introduced a new model down here called the TRi and Ei series, not sure if you have them over there but both show big improvements on the old LM series. I have sold a few with no issues as yet, the Ei is a clamp on cell which they say you can install by yourself in 15 minutes (my best is 22minutes) no cutting and gluing pipes.

marco said:
Has anyone used the Zodiac chlorinator? We are looking to replace the old AutoPilot for our 35k, in-ground pool. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated.

As you can see in my signature i have the Zodiac Duo Clear 130 .... this is my third summer. Balancing has been a breeze in spite of the fact this is my first pool.

I noticed after the first 1.5 seasons it was running hot to the touch ... a tech came over and found a screw was too long and contacted the metal cover. It was isolated and now is running cool.

It has the mineral cartridge feature .... debated somewhat as a gimmick and at ~$100 is supposed to be replaced yearly. I believe the lifetime warranty on the electrode hinges on your purchasing the cartridge every year hence the suspicions on its real purpose. There is also some debate about the release of minute metal particles into the water system and environment. Many suggest just not replacing it and keeping your chlorine level at the normally accepted standard.

The readings on the panel are a simple LED type of display for the various functions and settings ..... salt level is either a green, or amber if low. Some other brands apparently have a digital readout of the level .... that would be really nice, assuming they're accurate.

KC

pool_aug08_005-1-2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.