Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opening pool w/ swg

1. Back To Top    #1

opening pool w/ swg

We opened our 18' x 52" aboverground pool yesterday and filled it to the right water level. We are using the intex saltwater generator model 8110 which was set up last year and worked great. I always forget to write down how i open the pool so I can remember the next season.

These are the numbers I got when I checked the pool yesterday with the TF-100. I'm afraid to add anything before I ask. I used the pool calculator.

FC 3.5
    CC .5
    TC 4
    pH 7.2
    T/A 70
    CH 100 (doesn't matter because its a vinyl pool right?)
    CYA 50
    salt 2070

The calculator said to add 50 lbs of salt to bring it up to 3000 ppm, 46 oz of baking soda, and 15 oz of borax. Is this right?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: opening pool w/ swg

If this is new fill water it'll take 24 hours for the salt to register. If it's not new water, just raising the level, then the only thing I'd add right now would be the salt. Your pH is in the acceptable range and with a SWCG it's gonna raise anyway. Your TA is good and it'll lower as you adjust the pH. You're right about the CH.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: opening pool w/ swg

Just raise the salt to 3000 and CYA to 80 and leave PH and TA alone. The PH will drift up slowly on it's own. And TA around 60 to 70 is good with a SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School